< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

Z83-F internal system disk went read-only -- no reinstall possible -- looping recovery setup

GSS

Hi all, i own a Z83-F bought from Amazon and working fine with preinstalled Win10 for since last year.
Now the internal disk seems to be gone in some kind of "read-only" status, and no longer booting up (i.e. boot and start recovery but fails then).
Booting from external HBCD WinPE and attempting to format the disk does not succeed, meaning that the current 4 partition cannot be erased and recreated, every after every format attempt the status come back to previous one.
Also creating the recovery boot disk as expleined in this forum (tried Z8350 ver1909) does not fix the issue and fails with red screen with the following sentence:
The disk you specified is not MBR formatted.
Please select an empty MBR disk to convert.

"Fail to create disk partition table"

Guess that setup script attempts to clean drive but then is not able to create the new disk partition table.

Any hint or should return the minipc for warranty replacement?

Thank you.

Map drive letter for inside eMMC/SATA
Disk type:SD
Disk=0
Disk-type=SD
Using Disk "0"

Map drive letter for USBKey
WinPESource=D:
InstallPath=D:\images
Map Winre.wim and *.wim or *.swm from D:\images
WinRE:Winre.wim
WinOS:Install.wim
TargetImage:WinOS_RS6
Recovery partition size:1711
Checkup SingleOS or DualOS or whether exist windows partiton
SingleOS
BIOSVendor=American
Create disk partition table

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.18362.1

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: MININT-B8O1JO1

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

The disk you specified is not MBR formatted.
Please select an empty MBR disk to convert.

"Fail to create disk partition table"

X:\Windows\System32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.18362.1

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: MININT-B8O1JO1

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 58 GB 0 B *
Disk 1 Online 14 GB 0 B *

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 RAW Partition 57 GB Healthy
Volume 1 Recovery NTFS Partition 700 MB Healthy
Volume 2 SYSTEM FAT32 Partition 100 MB Healthy Hidden
Volume 3 D WINPE NTFS Removable 14 GB Healthy

DISKPART>

GSS

Hi Boker,
i already tried all possible kind of Win10 setup, and linux setup as well.
All failing because the Z83-F internal harddrive/sdcard (eMMC) seems to be "locked£ and read-only, not possible to change/delete/format existing partitions thus all operating system setup and embedded recorvery as well fails.

Seems the same behavior of some low-cost usb drive where embedded ram chip are rubbish and fail after some time.
I was wondering if you have some kind of low-level recovery tool that is able to revive the internal memory, in order to avoid RMA process or having refund due to faulty device.

Please let me know how you can help me, thank you.

On 5/16/20, Minisforum support <support@minisforum.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Please download the Microsoft installation file to try it out:
> Download win10 system:
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
> Step video:

boker

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Boker,
i already tried all possible kind of Win10 setup, and linux setup as well.
All failing because the Z83-F internal harddrive/sdcard (eMMC) seems to be "locked£ and read-only, not possible to change/delete/format existing partitions thus all operating system setup and embedded recorvery as well fails.

Seems the same behavior of some low-cost usb drive where embedded ram chip are rubbish and fail after some time.
I was wondering if you have some kind of low-level recovery tool that is able to revive the internal memory, in order to avoid RMA process or having refund due to faulty device.

Please let me know how you can help me, thank you.

On 5/16/20, Minisforum support <support@minisforum.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Please download the Microsoft installation file to try it out:
> Download win10 system:
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
> Step video:
I found a hard disk partition tool, you can try to delete all partitions in Win PE mode. See if it works.
https://www.diskpart.com/features/make-bootable-cd.html

GSS

Hi Boker, already tried booting from WinPE usb boot disk, and tried several HD partition tool.
No way, all tool fails deleting partition -- again, the flash mamory looks like to be read-only.
Also using diskpart fails, after "cleaning" disk 0, listing again the existing partitions are back, and format does not succeed

GSS

Hi Bocker,
i requested and got approval for RMA process through Amazon customer service

No further support required, thank you.

GSS

Apologize, just one more support request, if you can somehow help, please see:
http://bbs.minisforum.com/conversations/unable-to-recover-miniforum-password.2395/

Got no answer yet...

Saturday at 6:49 PM
Hi, i'm currently logged into your forum, but i'm unable to login on a different pc/browser -- password recovery process does not work since i don't received any email on registerred email address (already checked spam folder)

May you please help?
Thank you

If you have forgotten your password, you can use this form to reset your password. You will receive an email with instructions.
then
A password reset request has been emailed to you. Please follow the instructions in that email.
no email

boker

Administrator
Staff member
Apologize, just one more support request, if you can somehow help, please see:
http://bbs.minisforum.com/conversations/unable-to-recover-miniforum-password.2395/

Got no answer yet...

Saturday at 6:49 PM
Hi, i'm currently logged into your forum, but i'm unable to login on a different pc/browser -- password recovery process does not work since i don't received any email on registerred email address (already checked spam folder)

May you please help?
Thank you

If you have forgotten your password, you can use this form to reset your password. You will receive an email with instructions.
then
A password reset request has been emailed to you. Please follow the instructions in that email.
no email
Please try another web browser to log in.

GSS

Please try another web browser to log in.
FYI, as alrready said, when attempting to recover password (http://bbs.minisforum.com/lost-password/requested) I do get the following message "A password reset request has been emailed to you. Please follow the instructions in that email. " -- then no email is sent (or received) to the registered gmail account...
In my humble opinion does not seem a browser issue, isn't it?
BTW, never mind, guess i do no longer need your support and account on your forum, i've bought a new different brand device, and in case i'll buy a new device from MinisForum/Celtics i'll register again, thank you

boker

Administrator
Staff member
FYI, as alrready said, when attempting to recover password (http://bbs.minisforum.com/lost-password/requested) I do get the following message "A password reset request has been emailed to you. Please follow the instructions in that email. " -- then no email is sent (or received) to the registered gmail account...
In my humble opinion does not seem a browser issue, isn't it?
BTW, never mind, guess i do no longer need your support and account on your forum, i've bought a new different brand device, and in case i'll buy a new device from MinisForum/Celtics i'll register again, thank you
Sorry, I misunderstood. If you don’t receive the email, it may be a problem with the website or our server. Our technicians will readjust. If necessary, we welcome you to renew a new account. I will quickly pass you through so that we can communicate quickly. .

wayneat

My PC suddenly refused to boot. None of the recover/fix methods work. I can boot into a command prompt and use DISKPART. It shows my primary partition as RAW. Any attempts to recover it have failed. I CAN'T reformat it, delete it, convert it, format it. What can I do now?

wayneat

I've tried that, but it fails. I get an error (0x80070057) that Windows couldn't format the partition. If I boot to a command prompt and use Diskpart to delete/covert/format/anything the raw partition and they all fail. Format will get all the way to %100 complete and then print a message that DIskpart ran into an error and couldn't finish.

I bought the PC on Amazon late last year, and have hardly used it. Is there anyway to access the C drive on the MiniPC from my desktop PC?
Is there anyway to replace the failing drive if I open it up?

boker

Administrator
Staff member
Please do not disassemble the PC at will, because the Z83-F hard drive is onboard, please send your Amazon purchase order number and the serial number on the bottom of the PC, the reason of the failure to the email: support@minisforum.com, I will arrange customer service Your service.

Top Bottom