< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

X400 (bios 016) : fan is too noisy, even at idle

geoslake

Hi guys

So i just bought an X400 with a 4750g, im quite happy with it. However, the default fan profile is super noisy and almost unusable to me. Thanks to the unlocked bios (thanks !!) and options, we can force a fixed rpm, or establish a fan table. However i dont understand all of the parameters there and need some help.
For instance, which are the settings (all of them on the page please) should i chose if i want :
- cpu fan to be off (pwm 1 it seems) when temp<50°C
- cpu fan to run @ pwm 15 when temp >50°C
- cpu fan to run @ pwm 30 when temp >70°C
?

Thanks so much for the help !

P.S. i tried with those values but the fan stayed off even when the cpu reached 80°C...

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
BIOS cannot change the fan speed. We have adjusted the fan speed for 3000 series low-power CPUs. For high-power 4000 series CPUs, I hope you use the initial settings. If you really need to adjust the fan speed, you can update the EC by referring to the attached document steps. thanks .

Attachments

daHamstah

Can you please provode some more information?
Does this mean if I have BIOS v016 and this EC-Update I can control Fanspeed via BIOS?
Or is this only the newer version of the EC which dialed down the fan a bit but still doesn't use hysteresis?

I hope it's really the possibility to control the fan. If not, Minisforum, please give us control over our fans!

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
BIOS cannot change the fan speed. The EC in the post has only been re-tuned for individual user requirements. thanks .

geoslake

Thanks Wen, so the EC you've attached here will be more silent but the cpu will get hotter, right ? That's fine to me as I never need sustained full cpu speed, far from it.
If we flash that EC, can we go back to the original one by reflashing the full X400 bios ? (as i guess that EC is just a small part of a full bios)

Thanks

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
@geoslake Yes, the fan is quieter and the CPU temperature is hotter. It is only applicable to 3000 series CPUs. In addition, BIOS and EC are independent.
I have uploaded the original file,You can download this X400 EC Original file

geoslake

"It is only applicable to 3000 series CPU", you mean it's "supposed to be applicable to 3000 series cpu but you can still use it on 4000 cpus" ?
Thanks for both files !

Reactions: Wen

geoslake

Ok so i did flash the X300 EC and its a bit better, but still too noisy. The cpu is cold and the fan is still running too quickly for no reason.
Could you please give us an alternate EC which allows the fan to go very slow and even stop if the cpu is under 40°C for instance ?
Ive mounted mine behind my monitor so its 60cm away from my ears, and that noise is unbearable.

Thank you !

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
This X300 EC has been adjusted to the CPU temperature below 50 degrees, the fan does not rotate, and the cpu temperature of 50-70 degrees is only about 1100-1400RPM. For the stability of the product, so I can no longer adjust the speed. Sorry sir .

geoslake

Hi Wen, the fan is cold, 26°C, locked at 1.37ghz (slowest it can do, low power windows profile) and the fan is definitely spinning, so there's something wrong.

geoslake

Any idea ? If i set fan polarity to "positive", then fan is then off most of the time, but makes a strange rattling noise when it spins...

Papanow

Irgendeine Idee? If ich die Polarität des Lüfters auf "positiv" stelle, ist der Lüfter dann die meiste Zeit ausgeschaltet, macht aber beim Drehen ein seltsames Klappergeräusch...
[/ZITIEREN]

Hallo Geoslake,
habe auch einen X400 mit 4750g. Habe die NVMe Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500 GB eingebaut, da sie wesentlich schneller ist.
Auch mein RAM hab ich auf 32 GB aufgerüstet.
Nachdem ich auf X300 EC geflasht habe, habe ich eine wesentlich höhere Temperatur der SSD. Selbst ohne Belastung war die Temperatur 60 Grad und höher.
Habe jetzt wieder das X400 EC eingespielt. Die Temperatur ist jetzt zwischen 40 und 45 Grad. Das Lüftergeräusch ist nicht spürbar höher. Habe meinen X400 nicht hinter dem Monitor angebracht, er steht unterm Tisch im Schrank.
Morgen soll ich meinen NVMe-Kühler erhalten. Werde danach wieder berichten.
Übrigens, wie hast Du den Lüfter auf "positiv" gestellt? Was ist das?

Last edited:

zAm1987

My Elitemini X400 with 4750G is also very noisy. Idling in Windows with 34°C and 0,58 Volt according to Ryzen Master the fan is still active (although it can get even louder with increased load / voltage) and it can even be heard a few rooms across my flat. Tried flashing the X300 EC and it reduced the noise a bit, but it's still loud. I don't know if this the way it should be working...?

I had a very small PC before (from Zotac with i5-6400t and Geforce 970) and even under load it was (subjectively) not as loud as the X400 is when idle.
Interestingly, compared to this other PC the noise from the X400 sounds not only like moving air and more like a combination between moving air and a deeper humming tone. Maybe it is the fan construction / bearing itself that adds to the subjectively loud noise.

Greetings from Germany
zAm1987

Papanow

Wollte Feedback geben...
Habe den NVMe-Kühler angebracht. Temperatur im Ruhezustand liegt knapp unter 40 Grad.

Geoslake: Was bedeutet den Lüfter auf positiv stellen?

geoslake

My Elitemini X400 with 4750G is also very noisy. Idling in Windows with 34°C and 0,58 Volt according to Ryzen Master the fan is still active (although it can get even louder with increased load / voltage) and it can even be heard a few rooms across my flat. Tried flashing the X300 EC and it reduced the noise a bit, but it's still loud. I don't know if this the way it should be working...?

I had a very small PC before (from Zotac with i5-6400t and Geforce 970) and even under load it was (subjectively) not as loud as the X400 is when idle.
Interestingly, compared to this other PC the noise from the X400 sounds not only like moving air and more like a combination between moving air and a deeper humming tone. Maybe it is the fan construction / bearing itself that adds to the subjectively loud noise.

Greetings from Germany
zAm1987
Same experience here, don't understand why other people don't get nuts with this issue.
The three NUC's i had, including the gaming one (hades canyon) were much much more silent.
Again, could someone from MF please give us the option to have much slower fan profiles please !?
The X300 EC still runs the fan all the time and is still very loud (although better than X400)

Thanks

daHamstah

Same here, don't understand why they control the fan via EC and not by BIOS. Then everybody could chose for themselves.

What's bugging me most: No hysteresis. If it's cool enough, there is a constant on and off. Fan starts at every spike over 50 degree C and stops immediatly because it drops under 50... Why not start fan at 65 and stop at 50? In BIOS this would be possible...

geoslake

Same here, don't understand why they control the fan via EC and not by BIOS. Then everybody could chose for themselves.

What's bugging me most: No hysteresis. If it's cool enough, there is a constant on and off. Fan starts at every spike over 50 degree C and stops immediatly because it drops under 50... Why not start fan at 65 and stop at 50? In BIOS this would be possible...
Could you post a picture of your fan settings please ?

geoslake

This X300 EC has been adjusted to the CPU temperature below 50 degrees, the fan does not rotate, and the cpu temperature of 50-70 degrees is only about 1100-1400RPM. For the stability of the product, so I can no longer adjust the speed. Sorry sir .
Wen, again, I don't get that fan behavior at all, but they would be perfect to me.
Have you indeed tested it with the x400 ?
I've just loaded safe defaults after flashing it. Should I clear CMOS as well maybe ?

Top Bottom