< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

Wireless card on Z83-F not available

Status
Not open for further replies.

siebrechtdc

I purchased a Minisforum Z83-F from Amazon a week ago with the hopes of installing some flavor of Linux. I was able to install Linux Mint 19.3 and have it on a wired connection to my router but am not able to get the wifi to work. When I run inxi -Fxz from a command line, the output does not show a wireless adapter but the box says that it should have a wifi adapter on board (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4G+5G). The command output shows a Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet. Can someone help me figure out if I have a defective computer or if I need to enable the wifi somehow? I am guessing that I will need to provide the output of several commands so please advise what I can do to help with anything - David

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
I purchased a Minisforum Z83-F from Amazon a week ago with the hopes of installing some flavor of Linux. I was able to install Linux Mint 19.3 and have it on a wired connection to my router but am not able to get the wifi to work. When I run inxi -Fxz from a command line, the output does not show a wireless adapter but the box says that it should have a wifi adapter on board (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4G+5G). The command output shows a Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet. Can someone help me figure out if I have a defective computer or if I need to enable the wifi somehow? I am guessing that I will need to provide the output of several commands so please advise what I can do to help with anything - David
Please tell me the BIOS version with the command "sudo dmidecode -t0", thank you!

siebrechtdc

Thank you Wen. Here is the output that you requested. - David

# dmidecode 3.1
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.0.0 present.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: BLT-BI-MINIPC-X5R110-CC55B-BU-101-A
Release Date: 08/13/2019
Address: 0xF0000
Runtime Size: 64 kB
ROM Size: 4608 kB
Characteristics:
PCI is supported
BIOS is upgradeable
BIOS shadowing is allowed
Boot from CD is supported
Selectable boot is supported
BIOS ROM is socketed
EDD is supported
5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
Serial services are supported (int 14h)
Printer services are supported (int 17h)
ACPI is supported
USB legacy is supported
BIOS boot specification is supported
Targeted content distribution is supported
UEFI is supported
BIOS Revision: 5.11

siebrechtdc

Please forgive me for being a little rusty. I was able to update BIOS settings specified in the link, but I am not able to copy the file to /lib/firmware/brcm because I do not have permissions. What su or sudo command do I use to copy the file from Downloads to /lib/firmware/brcm/*.* ?
- David

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
1. BIOS setup succeeded
2. copy "brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt" to download , and open in Terminal
3. Enter the command: "sudo cp brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/. "
4. enter you password
5. Enter the command: "ls /lib/firmware/brcm/*.txt"
6. please reset

Status
Not open for further replies.