< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

What would you like to see in the HX90's successor?

samuel77

Please keep it realistic, PCIe 4.0, higher MT/s RAM or even using desktop RAM possibly vs wanting a 'flux capacitor' for instance.

Macinoid

USB-C Gen2 (1) Front & (1) Rear panel for eVGA or more...

USB-A Gen 1or2 (1) Front & (2) Rear panel for addons and keyboard/mouse

XMP Profiling added to the UEFI and also upto 1.35v RAM

pie1394

[1] The 2nd M.2 PCIe x4
* I personally think Gen3 or Gen4 does not really matter unless it is used as server platform

[2] PCIe x8 or x4+x4 slots in the attached additional enclosure (similar idea to Asus PB-60G)
(a) For 10GBaseT or 10GBaseKR(SFP+) NIC
(b) For more powerful GPU

[3] PC3200 DDR4 SODIMM * 4
* To build the cheapest 128GB working machine

6900HX will be even more powerful when it is used as server farm's distributed computing node(s). In that case, (2a) & (3) will increase the node's computing capability with very economical cost when it does not need the server component's reliability level. The costly DDR5 or PCIe gen5 on Intel Gen12 platform does not worh it at this moment.

Pitek

I'm not entirely sure what I/O will be integrated into Ryzen 6000 APU mobile SoC (we know that PCIe 4.0 will replace PCIe 3.0, USB4 will replace USB3 and DDR5 will replace DDR4 and of course the Navi 12CU GPU will replace the current Vega 8CU GPU). In the successor of the HX90, I would like to have this:
1. One USB4 40Gbps (with PowerDelivery functionality) USB-C port on the front panel
2. One USB4 40Gbps (with DisplayPort functionality) USB-C port on the rear panel
3. One USB3 Gen2 10Gbps USB-A port on the front panel and few USB3 Gen2 10Gbps ports on the rear panel (these ports can come from a modern USB3 Gen2 hub, e.g. VL822-Q8 chip)
4. A more modern (higher class) driverless USB-to-audio converter on board (for the front/rear analog audio ports)
5. A more M.2 for NVMe SSD (x2) and less SATA for 2.5" (x1), more space for NVMe SSD heatsink (and WiFi6 module not under NVMe SSD due to mutual heating)
6. Two slots for DDR5 SO-DIMMs (four slots is not needed because DDR5 doubles everything, ie number of channels, number of banks, bandwidth, capacity), with A-XMP/AMP/BEMP/DOCP memory profiles support (Intel's XMP equivalent)
7. It would be nice if the unused PCIe lines (those that use dGPU in notebooks) were somehow available because some people want to connect the eGPU ;)
8. One 2.5Gbps LAN port and two video ports (HDMI and DisplayPort)

Pitek

The CR50 is a different story as it is built on the AMD 4700S. This is an not fully functional APU from a PlayStation5 with disabled (faulted) iGPU. PCIe lines (x4 Gen2) is available only for eGPU (and for this reason you dont have any PCIe lines for NVMe SSD on AMD 4700S platform: https://www.amd.com/en/desktop-kits/amd-4700s).
On XH90 we don't have this problem, R9 5900HX APU have enabled iGPU and have PCIe Gen3 x8 lines for optional dGPU/eGPU (so, bus switching IC is not required):

ericlaiys

My wishlist
1. 2nd M.2 PCIe x4
2. PC3200 DDR4 SODIMM * 4 & able to support till 128GB RAM
3. Two USB C
4. 2 LAN Port [1 GB, 2.5 GB]

Legion

What Pitek said, thou I don't understand half of it.
No, mechanical HD. they're big, hot and loud.
A thunderbolt connector on the rear.
Horizontal format. Vertical requires a stand because its inherently unstable. Horizontal is just easy to connect to.
Horizontal format allows you to have a nice logo on the top. ;)
Get rid of the nasty carbon fibre for no reason case with cut off corners and use a nice silver/grey business like case like the HM80. holes on top for ventilation and solid area for logo.
4 heat pipes minimum with a industry standard fan.
Not sure if possible but you know the principal for the dyson fans, its been used in various things. would that draw in more air than a simple fan. It might not work because it does require a velocity to draw the air in.
A DP on rear.
An industry standard intelligent power connector on rear.
Option for barebones < real important.
Fast M2.Nvme

samuel77

dyson just uses a high velocity fan and ornate ducting, no magic, you will get higher noise levels because the fan needs to operate at a faster rpm to move enough air, a better solution would be to use a large, low rpm, high volume fan, like a noctua 200mm, it would require a slightly large case, but would be very quiet and reliable.

Legion

No.......... That's not how they work.

You'll find that the fan pushes air through the slit in the circumference of the housing. As the air is accelerated by the shape of the housing it creates an area of low pressure. This is due to Bernoulli's principle. That area of low pressure draws in (actually its the area of higher pressure air behind the fan moving toward the low pressure area - there is no such thing as suction) air resulting in a much greater volume of air being moved than a simple fan.

Linky -

Noctua are good but the main reason they're quiet is because they run a lot slower than a "normal" fan and shift about half the volume of air. My HM80 fan is quieter than a Noctua because it only runs under 1000 rpm. A HD makes more noise. You need a combination of heat pipe to move the heat, a radiator and fan all packaged in a relatively small space.

adrian

What Pitek said, thou I don't understand half of it.
No, mechanical HD. they're big, hot and loud.
A thunderbolt connector on the rear.
Horizontal format. Vertical requires a stand because its inherently unstable. Horizontal is just easy to connect to.
Horizontal format allows you to have a nice logo on the top. ;)
Get rid of the nasty carbon fibre for no reason case with cut off corners and use a nice silver/grey business like case like the HM80. holes on top for ventilation and solid area for logo.
4 heat pipes minimum with a industry standard fan.
Not sure if possible but you know the principal for the dyson fans, its been used in various things. would that draw in more air than a simple fan. It might not work because it does require a velocity to draw the air in.
A DP on rear.
An industry standard intelligent power connector on rear.
Option for barebones < real important.
Fast M2.Nvme
Some are your wishes are confusing,In no specific order: Thunderbolt - yes would be nice but AMD does not support it. Probably Intel asks to much money for licence, who knows, but for now no AMD CPUs have it. Mechanical HD ? You have 2 SATA connectors, use whatever you want I use one SSD and one HD (storage only), you could use an SSD only. Would be nice to have one more NVMe but again this is a hardware limitation comming from chipset not MINIS fault. Vertical , in fact I use it this way takes less space on my table, you can use it on horizontal mode so it's an option (a plus) why to eliminate an extra option ? Case, who cares that "carbon fibre" at 3 % if it has any value probably more a marketing gimmic but the case itself feels nice on touch and I like the look. DP on the rear ? It has 2 (Display Port ). Probably this is just a general wish, keep the DP do not move to HDMI only. In fact you can always go from DP to HDMI if needed with a passive cable but not from HDMI to DP. If space is at premium provide DP ports an include an DP to HDMI passive adapter. Also I do not have a problem with USB-C caring video, most laptops move to this ,anyway, but it may confuse some. For power connection, yes a USB-C power delivery connector would be better, but a real one, they had a few models with USB-C connector but with a fixed voltage so no the full protocol which is REALY BAD, (and dangerous) if you do not implement the full PD specs better use this old style connector and power supply.( which they did fortunately on HX90 ).At the end NVMe speed depends of the chipset, this one only supports PCI3, probably next AMD chipset will support PCI4 so NVMe will be faster.

Last edited:

Pitek

OK, but we are discussing the successor of the HX90 and I assume it will be built with a Ryzen 6000 APU. New APU will have USB4 (compatible with Thunderbolt 3) and PCIe Gen4 and DDR5.
In the HX90, Minis made some compromises and the Ryzen 9 5900HX potential was not used when it comes to IO ports - we do not have USB3 Gen2 because a cheaper USB hub is used (VL817 chip, not VL822 chip), there is no second NVMe, although the APU has unused PCIe Gen3 lines, etc.
Hopefully the HX90 successor won't use USB-C PD for power delivery from PSU.

Legion

:rolleyes: Adrian, I see you struggled with the title of this thread "What would you like to see in the HX90's successor?"
You can get Thunderbolt compatible AMD boards. The standard has been freely available for a couple of years.
If you're running 34" screens or a 34" and one in portrait it really needs to go under the screen.
If you like fake that's great. But its kind of like putting a Mercedes badge on a Honda. Its not fooling anyone and from a marketing perspective its suggesting that customers are dumb enough to go for it. I prefer professional look and given the title of the thread I can ask for it.
Did I ask for two Nvme. No I did not. 2.5" just take up space. You shouldn't be storing data on a single disk anyway, that's what a NAS is for and you should be using 321.
Hope you didn't find that too confusing.

Last edited:

adrian

Yes, did a little bit a reading, looks like finaly with USB4 we are going to see Thunderbolt wide spread also on AMD world. Remember on Intel Thunderbolt is part of the chipset no added cost. On AMD was not, required extra chips which will add on the cost (and from the article before 2019 you could not even get it with extra silicon on non Intel MB). Most customers will switch to another vendor if they can get a PC 100 $ cheaper. Here it is: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-motherboard-asrock-first-thunderbolt-certification-intel . My laptop has 4 TB ports and nothing else. Which is great, but one is used for power. And I had to get a TB dock to get a number of usable ports. But of course would be great to have the classicc ports like now and at least one TB port (USB4 in the future).

Carbon fib'er

Case? who cares that "carbon fibre" at 3 % if it has any value probably more a marketing gimmic but the case itself feels nice on touch and I like the look.
What's interesting to me about this carbon-fiber case topic: I doubt many people care if a case is carbon fiber or not. It's a non issue, and yet it draws negative attention because it's marginally carbon-fiber (name only). It just seems like a lot of effort has been put into a topic that doesn't matter to anyone. It's a gimmick that backfired. The negative PR isn't worth the 3% content (when zero people are looking for carbon fiber in the first place).

I wish the case was metal, not plastic. I wonder how much that would add to the price.

I wish the non-barebones systems used better memory & nvme. I don't understand the labor-intensive investment of cost into liquid metal (and all the PR problems that resulted in too), and then using single-rank ram, and slow nvme. I'd rather have that labor cost transferred to better components. Let the customer do their own liquid metal, instead of doing it for them, and letting the customer install their own mem & nvme (to get what the CPU should have been paired with to begin with). You know? It seems like a strange thing to sink costs into (while skimping on the stuff that really would enhance the Ryzen 9's performance. It's like the HX90 is trying to be high-end, but also trying to be budget too. I wish they would have a "gamers edition" system with the better parts (and liquid metal). Otherwise, go totally budget with lessor parts and no liquid metal.

Top Bottom