< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

What kind of SSD in the 2;5" slot?

Adherack

I tried to use this SSD without success : Samsung SSD Interne 860 EVO 2.5" (500 Go) - MZ-76E500B/EU

Can you give me the characteristics of a 1TB disk that works in the 2.5" slot ?

Many Thanks !

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
Samsung SSD Interne 860 EVO 2.5" (500 Go) - MZ-76E500B/EU ---->This is 2.5 inch SSD(Solid State Disk )
U500-H Sata cable only support 2.5-inch HDD , not support 2.5-inch SSD 。

2.5 inch HDD(Hard Disk Drive) characteristics
This type in the picture is cheaper and more secure for data storage.

Last edited:

JB_Sullivan

..... but if you install such a hard disk, as I just did, it will not be recognized by the operating system.

Is there anything else that needs to be set, activated, that the hard disk is recognized?

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
If a 2.5-inch hard drive is installed, it can be used without setup and activation,
If there is a problem,please check the SATA Cable

trblshootr

I have a similar issue, Crucial 250GB SSD 2.5" drive connected to the 2.5" SATA cable will not allow the unit to post beyonf the minisforum logo. If i attach a kingston 960 or 120 GB drive (both SSD) the unit will post and recognize the drives.
is there a solution other than purchasing a different drive manufacturer? bios update?(VB9 0.09 x64 - current)

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
I have a similar issue, Crucial 250GB SSD 2.5" drive connected to the 2.5" SATA cable will not allow the unit to post beyonf the minisforum logo. If i attach a kingston 960 or 120 GB drive (both SSD) the unit will post and recognize the drives.
is there a solution other than purchasing a different drive manufacturer? bios update?(VB9 0.09 x64 - current)
Have responded to your email

Cilyan

Hello there !

could you please be more specific? I plan to buy a U500-H, but related to noise, it is important for me to have a SATA SSD Storage, and not a mechanical spinning drive. Beside, I don't really understand why a SATA port should only support mechanical drive but not a Solid State, given that the interface should be the same. I replaced the HDD in my laptop with an SSD and it was absolutely no problem. Finally, in the YouTube video where you showed how to install a drive in the U300 & others, the drive installed is an SSD.

Note: I'll be installing a Linux, if that matters.

So what is the issue? Is it power supply? Bandwidth? BIOS firmware? Are there brands that are supported like suggested in other posts?

I'm not talking about NVMe, of course, but 2.5" SATA SSD drives.

Thanks,

Cilyan

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
Hello there !

could you please be more specific? I plan to buy a U500-H, but related to noise, it is important for me to have a SATA SSD Storage, and not a mechanical spinning drive. Beside, I don't really understand why a SATA port should only support mechanical drive but not a Solid State, given that the interface should be the same. I replaced the HDD in my laptop with an SSD and it was absolutely no problem. Finally, in the YouTube video where you showed how to install a drive in the U300 & others, the drive installed is an SSD.

Note: I'll be installing a Linux, if that matters.

So what is the issue? Is it power supply? Bandwidth? BIOS firmware? Are there brands that are supported like suggested in other posts?

I'm not talking about NVMe, of course, but 2.5" SATA SSD drives.

Thanks,

Cilyan
U500-H noise problem, because each person's standards are different, we pay attention to the opinions of each customer, and have made further improvements and tests during the 2019/12 shipment.
It can install linux, the forum will have some comments and teaching materials.
The only problem is that it only supports 2.5-inch HDDs, which is consistent with Amazon advertising. The SSD in the video only provides steps (please do not refer to the SSD model). Thank you.

Cilyan

Thanks for the reply.
I still don't really understand why the underlying storage technology should matter, but anyway. It's a pity, I was more confident in a nicely enclosed board to replace my Cubietruck, even with a fan, rather than a barebone like Odroid-H2 or Udoo x86, but HDD is not an option, it will vibrate too much.

Edit: That said, checking the prices, I'm surprised that the difference between a 2.5" and M.2 is not that much for relatively high storage. I'll maybe reach the desired amount of storage with M.2 only at reasonable price. Could be cool.

Last edited:

eRaz0r

U500-H noise problem, because each person's standards are different, we pay attention to the opinions of each customer, and have made further improvements and tests during the 2019/12 shipment.
The only problem is that it only supports 2.5-inch HDDs, which is consistent with Amazon advertising. The SSD in the video only provides steps (please do not refer to the SSD model). Thank you.
i have the u500-h and the gk45 - the problem is, i've tested 6 - 2,5" sata hard drives so far and only ONE(!) is working. all of my seagate 1TB hard drives don't work, the only one the device is recognising is an old western digital 500gb drive. according to amazon you can install sata hdd's up to 2TB - but every drive with more than 500GB does not work :/ so i guess the problem is the installed uefi version - seems like a bug. or incompatibility with seagate. i'Ve posted in the gk45 forum some of the model numbers who aren't working and the one that is working. maybe you're be able to fix that in an upcoming uefi update - especially for the kodlix gk45 <- that's my main pc, but kind of useless with "only" 500gb.

svtech

What about a hybrid HDD with flash acceleration like this drive? https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-FireCuda-Hybrid-Performance-Accelerated/dp/B07H2F3741/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=2tb+2.5+ssd&qid=1583360100&sr=8-5

boker

Administrator
Staff member
hi,
Please give me your Amazon order number and serial number (bottom of PC).
and What is your hard drive?

Rob625

Amazon ORDINE # 407-3042034-3554731 Serial MGE191126005U500H8128PR20145
I have tried two SSD (1 ok, 1 not) and one HD (ok). The one I would like to use is the SSD that doesn't work: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB model MZ-75E1T0; it does work if I connect it via USB though.

But really, I would like to know what makes the difference. I suppose you must have that information.

Top Bottom