< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

URGENT -- GK45 - eMMC and HDMI with Legacy Boot?

Crimson Space

Hello Support,

I bought 6 of these from Amazon last week, and we need another 16 soon, but there is a very MAJOR issue, which must be resolved first. We need Legacy Boot to support internal eMMC storage and HDMI output.

Here is the problem:
  1. I turned on Legacy boot under CSM. Made sure all items in there are set to LEGACY, and only LEGACY, including storage, video etc.
  2. Made sure the Operating System is set to LINUX, under South Bridge, OS Selection
  3. Installed latest DEBIAN 10 from USB into the eMMC
  4. Install went perfectly, and updated the GRUB for the eMMC storage
  5. Reboot goes back to BIOS, and keeps looping
  6. Checked BIOS, under BOOT option, I don't see anything. There is no Mention of Debian anywhere.
  7. Rebooted with DEBIAN USB in rescue mode
  8. Checked that eMMC had all the correct partitions, and everything was perfectly installed there. The Legacy Boot was there, and also the main root.
  9. Still, under BIOS, in BOOT, I don't see debian
  10. Under Save and Exit, under Boot Override, I just see Windows Recover
So I did another Test with installing my own M.2 SSD
  1. As soon as I installed the M.2 drive it shows up in Boot Override and Boot menus
  2. Then I Installed DEBIAN on it
  3. Booted it on HDMI port, but it doesn't work. For some reason it defaults to eDP (Display Port), and no matter what I change in BIOS under the GOP driver (setting HDMI as default IG), it still doesn't want to work.
  4. But that's not the solution we need.
Here is the bottom line:

==> WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO INSTALL DEBIAN 10 ON THE INTERNAL EMMC MEMORY IN LEGACY BOOT (NOT EFI), HAVE THE SYSTEM ONLY IN LEGACY BOOT, AND HAVE IT WORK ON HDMI NOT JUST DISPLAY PORT.

So the question is:

1. Can you give me some magical setting for it?
  2. OR ==> Can you provide an updated BIOS file, which can do this? Right now I've got the following BIOS
    1. BIOS Vendor ==> American Megatrends
    2. Core Version ==> 5.13
    3. Compliancy ==> UEFI 2.7; PI 1.6
    4. Project Version ==> M1902G 0.01 x64
    5. build and time 09/19/2019 19:33:42
    6. EC Version ==> WB-EC-276-V1.00
Otherwise, I will have to return these 6 boxes, and look else where.

Thank you

Crimson Space

Thank you Joey,

Looking forward to a resposne on this. I appreciate you verifying and debugging.
Primarily 4 things to focus on, while you are debugging, and if you decide to write an updated BIOS
  1. Must be able to install and boot using full LEGACY
  2. Must be able to use internal eMMC, visible under BOOT options
  3. Must be able to use the HDMI port as default
  4. After Legacy Boot, the OS MUST be able to access all the harware resoruces.
Thank you.

joey

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Crimson Space
bios setup:
  1. I turned on Legacy boot under CSM. Made sure all items in there are set to LEGACY, and only LEGACY, including storage, video etc.
  2. Made sure the Operating System is set to LINUX, under South Bridge, OS Selection
Though test ,i get the result below :
If i install the debian to EMMC, it cannot be booted from EMMC
If i install the debian to PCLe SSD ,it can be booted from PCLe SSD ,and work perfectly

bios setup store defaults( UEFI mode)
Though test ,i get the result below :
The bios settings are restored to the default, which is UEFI mode, whether it is EMMC or PCIe SSD, it can work perfectly

Therefore, EMMC does not support the installation of debian in legacy mode. We recommend installing debian in UEFI mode

Last edited:

Crimson Space

You can recommend what you want, but that's NOT what I want.
Plus, Debian, DOES NOT WORK perfectly off of SSD over HDMI.

I think there is a slight language barrier here.

In any case, we are going to be returning your product, and recommending to all our customers as well to look else where.

This issue could have been resolved with a proper re-write of the BIOS

Crimson Space

Ah, that makes sense. So is there a way to re-write the BIOS yourself? Can we get the original AMI BIOS somehow?
The platform seems to be well built, even the PCB inside seems very nice. It's a real shame that the spport is poor.

bonebraker

Ah, that makes sense. So is there a way to re-write the BIOS yourself? Can we get the original AMI BIOS somehow?
The platform seems to be well built, even the PCB inside seems very nice. It's a real shame that the spport is poor.
these shady devs deleted my 2 posts from earlier. i pm u all the details if needed.

joey

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, this bios can use Debian normally, some malicious slander us, please don't believe it. Our main operating system is windows 10. Microsoft is slowly abandoning the legacy mode. I hope you can understand us.

Top Bottom