< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

UM700 bios update(support Windows 11)

joey

Administrator
Staff member
Heeft iemand een idee om de um700 weer werkend te krijgen met corrupte bios?
Maybe this post is helpful to you, thank you.

Wes

The bios of UM700 has been updated, and the updated documents are as follows. Please do not abnormally power off or interrupt during the update.
are there instructions? I can' figure out how to load it. For the single rj45 it's a winflash.bat file. How do you install this exactly?

joey

Administrator
Staff member
are there instructions? I can' figure out how to load it. For the single rj45 it's a winflash.bat file. How do you install this exactly?
The above bios is applicable to the UM700 with dual Ethernet ports, but not the UM700 with single Ethernet port. Please understand.

Wes

The above bios is applicable to the UM700 with dual Ethernet ports, but not the UM700 with single Ethernet port. Please understand.
I understand that. I don't understand how to install it. I have a UM700 with 2 ethernet ports that I would like to upgrade to Windows 11 but i cant. I think the bios needs to be updated. Can you provide instructions? **** This is an edit - I found the instructions but they don't work for me. It won't boot to my flash drive which is brand new with the bios unzipped onto it formatted as fat32 and named WINPE. Is there something else I need to do to the flash drive? I did a 'quick format', is that correct?

Last edited:

joey

Administrator
Staff member
I understand that. I don't understand how to install it. I have a UM700 with 2 ethernet ports that I would like to upgrade to Windows 11 but i cant. I think the bios needs to be updated. Can you provide instructions? **** This is an edit - I found the instructions but they don't work for me. It won't boot to my flash drive which is brand new with the bios unzipped onto it formatted as fat32 and named WINPE. Is there something else I need to do to the flash drive? I did a 'quick format', is that correct?
Please operate according to the document, thank you

Wes

anyone else having issues loading this bios? I can never get to the shell. When i choose the Kingston drive w/ UEFI next to it my screen goes blank a second, then returns to the same screen. I've chosen each option mentioning the Kingston drive (which btw i did rename to WINPE, it just doesn't show the name there.). I've looked around in bios settings and confirmed secure boot isn't enabled. any help is greatly appreciated. We're a small software company that also provides stations, which are the minis. We've chosen to go w/ Windows 11 all the way, but not having luck with this.Untitled.pngUntitled.png

Carbon fib'er

anyone else having issues loading this bios? I can never get to the shell. When i choose the Kingston drive w/ UEFI next to it my screen goes blank a second, then returns to the same screen.
I formatted a 1gig USB drive per the .docx instructions (Fat32, "WINPE") and extracted the .zip contents to it. Then rebooted and chose that device to reboot from (after holding down esc or del, I forget which is the boot-select menu). It went into the UEFI shell as depicted. (I didn't try to update my bios, I didn't do this on a UM700).

You must have something wrong with the format (or extraction). FWIW: I formatted my 1gig USB stick on a laptop running MX Linux. I used its "menu > MX Tools > Format USB" tool. I used defaults (other than choosing Fat32 and WINPE as the name). If you had to, you could download the MX Linux .iso, burn it to a flash drive using Rufus or Unetbootin. Then boot that and use its tool like I did. (You shouldn't have to go to that much trouble. It must be something about how you formatted yours (or extracted). But, ultimately, you could relatively easily do it the way I did. It won't touch your Windows install. It's just a "live desktop" environment.)

FWIW: my drive contains:
/EFI/BOOT/BootIa32.efi​
/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi​
/AF5PN01.rom​
/AfuEfix64.efi​
/F.nsh​

[PS: I deleted my prior reply. I realized later that it's not really "booting" anything. It's just UEFI. I was thinking it needed more than just format/unzip. I'd never booted a UEFI shell like this. On the one hand, it seems like a rough environment for most users. I can imagine people getting something wrong & breaking their system (compared to a .exe run from within Windows). But, since I don't run Windows and always have to take extra steps to boot a copy of Windows just to update a bios, this way would be nice. I wish it were more automatic, less command-line actions.]

Last edited:

Wes

can anyone walk me thru updating the bios on my UM700 w/ 2 ethernet ports? I've downloaded the files, which by the way all just look like word docs. Nothing in them looks like a bios update, at least not any I've seen. I've tried a couple of different flash drives formatted per instructions (fat32,named "WINPE", Quick Format). I've chosen the UEFI (UEFI: Kingston Data Traveler....) listing of my flash drive as instructions show to boot to the shell (or whatever the proper wording is - not familiar with shell). The screen just flashes. It will not attempt to do anything. What am i doing wrong?

Carbon fib'er

I've downloaded the files, which by the way all just look like word docs. Nothing in them looks like a bios update,
The documentation in post #22 above has a "bios download link" at the top of the document. Did you download that .zip and extract it to the USB drive? (I spent some time wondering where the bios update was. It took a while for me to realize the word document links to it.). The zip file gives you the files I outlined a couple posts above.

It would be clearer if this was put in the support/downloads area, not just old forum posts. Doc & bios, side by side for download. It could be clear that it's for the 2-port machine (Joey says it is above.). That would be much easier to refer to.

Wes

That was it Carbon fib'er! Thank you! Couldn't see the forest for the trees I suppose. Just was not clear to me with both docs named identically I suppose. Thanks a lot for your help!

Top Bottom