< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

UM250 SSD upgrade - Samsung 980 PRO not being recognized in BIOS?

Shawn3B

I wanted to upgrade from the stock Kingston 512GB SSD to a faster (and larger, 1TB) drive. I bought a Samsung 980 PRO 1TB SSD, model: MZ-V8P1T0B. It's a NVMe M.2 PCIe v4.0 form 2280. It's not detected in BIOS, does not boot. I don't understand why, thoughts?

It's detected in other systems, and works in a USB enclosure, etc. That's how I cloned the drive to it, and it wouldn't boot - only then noticed it was not being detected in the BIOS.
Also, the BIOS shows two SATA ports, I only see one physical port, so I am curious about that too...?

joey

Administrator
Staff member
This is because UM250 uses M.2 2280 SATA SSD. And Samsung 980 pro SSD is M.2 2280 NVME SSD. This is not applicable to UM250. Hope this information is helpful to you. thanks

Shawn3B

This is because UM250 uses M.2 2280 SATA SSD. And Samsung 980 pro SSD is M.2 2280 NVME SSD. This is not applicable to UM250. Hope this information is helpful to you. thanks
Thank you! I had missed the SATA part, never had a SATA M.2 system before. Love this little box though, great performance over minimal electrical draw, etc.

So... I'm eyeing the Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA as an upgrade to the stock Kingston. Any thoughts on how much performance gain to expect? Worth the upgrade? (I'd like more space too - 512GB to 1TB, but it's not necessary, I do have a NAS, etc). Planning on doing some 4k video editing/processing (drone footage, GoPro, etc).

Lastly, the BIOS shows 2x SATA interfaces... is there another physical SATA connector somewhere on the UM250?

joey

Administrator
Staff member
In fact, UM250 has a 2.5 inch SATA port for users to expand capacity. Please refer to the figure below.

Top Bottom