< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

UM200 Locks up. Shuts down on it's own.

Michael _L

I recently purchased(2/13/2021) a Minis Forum DeskMini.
Specs are below.

UM200 4GB + 128G SSD
AMD Athlon 300U
Windows 10 PRO
Radeon Vega 3 Graphics

Everything went well out of the box. A few days later it began to lock-up. The lock-up doesn't last long, but is aggravating. This past weekend, the Mini began shutting down(re-starting) on it's own.

I know very little about computers. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

joey

Administrator
Staff member
Did you add RAM or SSD or HDD or other external devices?

Last edited:

Alexlbq

Can't answer an existing topic, what should I do ??
Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Please help.
Yours faithfully.

Michael _L

Did you add RAM or SSD or HDD or other external devices?
Thanks for the reply, Joey.
Sorry for my long delay in answering your reply. Life got in the way.

No, I haven't added anything. It's out of the box. The problem with it shutting down on it's own has cured itself somehow. Although, the locking-up had not gone away.
Sometimes it's so bad, I have to manually shut down(power button), then restart it. Like I stated earlier, I have very little experience with software issues.

joey

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply, Joey.
Sorry for my long delay in answering your reply. Life got in the way.

No, I haven't added anything. It's out of the box. The problem with it shutting down on it's own has cured itself somehow. Although, the locking-up had not gone away.
Sometimes it's so bad, I have to manually shut down(power button), then restart it. Like I stated earlier, I have very little experience with software issues.
When plugged in, press and hold the reset hole for 30 seconds to clear the CMOS and restore it.
Or you can try to reinstall system to solve

Michael _L

I hope I found the problem.

Nothing I did was working. The problem continued more often. Last week, it began shutting off, then back on again several times. I contemplated trashing it altogether.

To get a prospective of the second photo, the Mini is mounted to the rear of the monitor.

Yesterday, for some reason, I opened the cover. Don't ask why I did this. Having been a mechanic for ~50 year, something in my mind said to have a look at the hardware. The first thing I found was the connection(Red Arrow, Bottom Photo) was tilted to the right. I put my finger on it and it moved. Seemed to be loose in it's socket. I grabbed hold of it and pushed it down and it snapped into place.

So far, it hasn't acted up one bit.

Jory. Can you comment on this connector? It being loose, will it cause the problems I stated earlier?

JSN0

I hope I found the problem.

Nothing I did was working. The problem continued more often. Last week, it began shutting off, then back on again several times. I contemplated trashing it altogether.

To get a prospective of the second photo, the Mini is mounted to the rear of the monitor.

View attachment 705

Yesterday, for some reason, I opened the cover. Don't ask why I did this. Having been a mechanic for ~50 year, something in my mind said to have a look at the hardware. The first thing I found was the connection(Red Arrow, Bottom Photo) was tilted to the right. I put my finger on it and it moved. Seemed to be loose in it's socket. I grabbed hold of it and pushed it down and it snapped into place.

So far, it hasn't acted up one bit.

View attachment 704

Jory. Can you comment on this connector? It being loose, will it cause the problems I stated earlier?
@ Micheal _L It's the SATA 3.0 connector. It's not connected to anything.
You will need it when you want to add an 2.5" HDD in the space provided at the top cover. You can pull it back and see the connector with cable.

Top Bottom