< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

Ubuntu stuck booting

carsten

I am using a clean Ubuntu 21.04 installation. Around 4 out of 5 times the N40 doesn't boot and is stuck with repeated

watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 23s! [swapper/0:0]
On another occasion I had a

xHCI controller not responding, assume dead
also not booting. Another time the WIFI card was not detected.

As far as I can tell these occur randomly.

joey

Administrator
Staff member
I suggest you install Windows 10 system and check if you have the same problem. If you have the same problem, please let me know and I will assist you to solve it.
Or use a lower version of Ubuntu to try.

Wen

minisforum developer
Staff member
It is recommended to install ubuntu 21.04, no need to install WIFI/BT driver,

carsten

Unfortunately it happened again. I will try a clean Manjaro installation next, if that doesn't fix it I'll have to return it...

Same here, we are running 200+ devices of the old version of the N40 without any problems.
The new variant has this Realtek Wireless which does not work on 5.4 (we are using ubuntu mate 20.04 lts), the intel wireless on the old model worked really great.
Any attempts to upgrade to a newer kernel resulted in these tons of CPU softlock messages, resulting in an unusable system.
The clue is, when fist booting a 5.4er kernel and afterwards a 5.11er kernel from the hwe, the system works.
This must be some kind of an initialization issue.

Anyway the new model seems to be a step backwards related to the linux compatibility.

Unfortunately we ordered another 200+ devices of the new model, which are unsuable at the moment for us.

Any help would be appreciated.

joey

Administrator
Staff member
Please update to the latest version of Ubuntu. The latest version of the kernel driver is compatible with the N40 wireless network card.

joey

Administrator
Staff member
We tested ubuntu21.04, N40 wireless network card can be used normally, please try to install the latest Ubuntu system. thanks

For anyone having issues with the N40, any kernel version >= 5.11 is causing these soft lockups.
We succeeded with a 5.10.30 mainline kernel (newer mainline kernels need a more recent libc) on ubuntu mate 20.04
Alpine 3.x is working too, because it is shipped with 5.10 kernel

carsten

We tested ubuntu21.04, N40 wireless network card can be used normally, please try to install the latest Ubuntu system. thanks
The error doesn't happen deterministically for me. Try cutting the power in between reboots and you will be able to reproduce it quickly. Once it booted successfully, reboots work without problem.

carsten

For anyone having issues with the N40, any kernel version >= 5.11 is causing these soft lockups.
We succeeded with a 5.10.30 mainline kernel (newer mainline kernels need a more recent libc) on ubuntu mate 20.04
Alpine 3.x is working too, because it is shipped with 5.10 kernel
Thank you! 21.04 with 5.10 mainline seems to be working for now!

The error doesn't happen deterministically for me. Try cutting the power in between reboots and you will be able to reproduce it quickly. Once it booted successfully, reboots work without problem.
yes, this is exactly what we have found, consecutive reboots are no problem, but a power loss causes the soft lockups on the next boot

mikeubell

I have this problem too with 20.04. I have found that if I boot the install USB device and then reboot (without installing) there is no problem.
Are there instructions for installing the 5.10 kernel?

Carbon fib'er

Can confirm it's still broken in Ubuntu 22.04. @joey please take this seriously.
I don't have an N40. I may not undertand something. But, reading the preceeding posts, it sounds like the problem is the wifi card? If so, you can replace the m.2 wifi card (e.g., Intel AX200 without "vpro" costs $20 USD, and works fine in Linux).

I've had to do that a few times. Some network cards never seem to be fully supported in Linux, require a proprietary driver. Instead of jumping though hoops (for a year?), $20 and done. I chalk it up to the cost of running Linux. (I think the only thing Minisforum can take seriously is choosing their wifi cards more carefully. From what I've seen, most computer brands don't.). If I misunderstood the topic, I apologize.

Carbon fib'er

I believe it's soldered on? But yeah, I will check, good point.
I wasn't going to say anything because I thought that could be what it is. But, at least once in this thread it's referred to as a "card." A card is common. I don't think I've seen a soldered wifi chipset in a long time. (On my HX90, it's under the nvme stick.).

If it's a card, you can just determine what wifi cards are known to be linux friendly. I know the Intel AX200 is solid on linux (it comes with a "vpro" feature that is for remote management. You don't need that, and can save a bit of money without it.). It often comes with a PCI card & antennas for installation into a desktop. You can find "bulk packaging" where it's just the m2 card to save a little money too. (Mine was $18 USD on ebay). But, there's older/used b/g/n cards too. (Probably $5, but slower without a/c/x [whatever the latest protocol is] support). The only thing you have to do is make sure the card is the same form factor, same "key" connector edge, and that it's known to work with Linux without drama.).

Top Bottom