< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

U700 with Linux/Windows fan noise annoying

marmol

I have just bought a Minisforum U700 (CPU I5). Just from the beginning (installing Windows 10) I found the fan not very noisy but annoying (ON/OFF continuously). The same with Linux. I installed a temperature monitor and the fan kicks in even when the computer is IDLE. Temperatures range from 40C to 65C which doesn't seem to me very dangerous (I'm no expert in CPUs).

I’ve checked the (very simple) BIOS and there is no parameter related to temperature, fan, clock frequency etc.

Is that behavior normal? (The fan is switching ON/OFF even with relatively low temps and no activity).

Is there any way to reduce the fan activity? (just increasing the range between low and high temperatures will help) Could it be dangerous?

Under-clocking? Undervolting? Change the fan? Return the unit?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

joey

Administrator
Staff member
This is normal, as is the design of the U700. When the CPU temperature is higher than a certain value, it will automatically turn, when the temperature is lower than a certain value, it will automatically stop

marmol

Thanks for the answer.
Could you tell us what are these values approximately and why are so low and close one to each other?
The fan activity is really annoying.

sgbeal

This is normal, as is the design of the U700. When the CPU temperature is higher than a certain value, it will automatically turn, when the temperature is lower than a certain value, it will automatically stop
In my opinion that trigger temperature value is too low. My U700 is idling at about 47C, and every time it hits about 51C the fan turns on for a few seconds, then turns off again. It's not the volume which is so annoying, but the constant turning off and back on. Based on my experience with the Raspberry Pi 4 and an Argone One case (which has a configurable fan), waiting until the temperature is 55C before turning on the fan seems more reasonable from a usability/ergonomics perspective. The only way i've found to make the noise tolerable on the U700 is to reduce the CPUs to about 2.1GHz - at that frequency the fan apparently runs more slowly, and is quiet enough that it doesn't distract me when it turns on every time the system gets a small load spike.

Top Bottom