< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

Tested Distributions and Issues

Ripley

Distributions in order of testing:
  • Manjaro (Arch Linux) 21.0 XFCE Edition:
    • Installed from USB stick booted from FRONT USB Ports to internal 2.5" 1TB Crucial SSD with UEFI
    • Once installed boots fast, works extremely well and the Desktop experience is very fast.
    • Extremely Stable
    • Graphics
      • Drivers function normally
        • Game optimization does not appear to be up to capabilities of the chipset
      • Tearing and stuttering in high resolution video with installed video player
      • Both Mplayer and VLC work better than Distribution's supplied media player
      • Struggles with interlacing activated in VLC for MPG2 Off-Air transport streams for 1080i content
    • WiFi works normally and very good range with built-in antenna
    • Bluetooth - not yet tested
    • USB
      • Rear 3.0 ports work for short time then time out and power off without waking up
      • Front 3.1 ports work but xfer speeds low with attached storage
      • Disabling Global C-State in the BIOS does not ameliorate the issue
      • I will later try to set PCIe mode from Gen4/Auto to Gen 3 in the BIOS once I figure out where to do this in settings
  • Ubuntu Desktop 21.04
    • Attempt to install from rear USB 3.0 stops and fails after drivers load off USB moving to front USB works
    • Installed from USB stick booted from FRONT USB Ports to internal 2.5" 1TB Crucial SSD with UEFI
    • Once installed boots fast, works extremely well and the Desktop experience is very fast.
    • Overall less stable than Manjaro
    • Graphics
      • Drivers function normally
        • Both video playback and games (Steam -native Linux and Steamplay) work better and appear to be better optimized than in Manjaro
      • Less tearing and stuttering in high resolution video with installed video player than Manajaro
      • Both Mplayer and VLC work better than Distribution's supplied media player
      • Still struggles with interlacing activated in VLC for MPG2 Off-Air transport streams for 1080i content, I'm hoping some optimized settings will help
    • WiFi works normally and very good range with built-in antenna
    • Bluetooth - not yet tested
    • USB (Again, many issues)
      • Rear 3.0 ports work for short time then time out and power off without waking up
      • Front 3.1 ports work but xfer speeds low with attached storage
        • Large storage unit (formatted ext2) attached to front USB will lock up while reading a large file such as video content
      • Disabling Global C-State in the BIOS does not ameliorate the issue
      • I will later try to set PCIe mode from Gen4/Auto to Gen 3 in the BIOS once I figure out where to do this in settings
Hardware issues:
Wireless keyboard dongle had extremely short range when plugged into front USB ports however using an extension to move the dongle further away from the unit restored functionality. Could it be that the HM50 is emitting a lot of spurious RF noise?

USB in Linux. Rear ports are completely useless under Ubuntu only partially functioning in Arch/Manjaro but by no means reliable. Front ports are OK for keyboards and mice but attached mass storage devices fail and timeout and become corrupted under Ubuntu. It's more stable using Manjaro. Perhaps it uses newer drivers? I will investigate.

UPDATE: Disabling IOMMU in BIOS fixed both boot from rear USB3 and attached storage using Linux.

In both tested Distributions:
YouTube, odysee.com, Netflix & Locast.org work great and all have excellent quality with an apparent better quality experience in Ubuntu (Less tearing and stuttering).
Apart from the USB issues, this is a extremely competent media consumption device and a great desktop PC solution for any HD television or monitor in a quiet / small package.
I will run some benchmarks this weekend and post the results here.

My overall experience with Linux has been EXCELLENT! disappointing due to the USB port issues however I have confidence this will improve over time as the drivers available to Linux mature.
Till then, more testing is planned.

Last edited:

Ripley

Using your information as a starting point, I've solved the USB 3 issue completely. In BIOS disable IOMMU. Nothing else needed. Attached mass storage working perfectly. I've got 5 high capacity drives all working perfectly. Very happy.

Installed KODI and the system is practically blissful now. Still some juddering MPG2 HD Transport streams with HW acceleration enabled. Going to keep working on it till the right mix of settings yields what I could get with a MiniITX atom boards with nvidia I have used for multimedia for nearly 10 years.

I'll be running the locast2plex script soon to see about recordings and serving with MythTV. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

palouf34

you use the sound with hdmi connect or whith out sound front ?

For me the sound on hdmi connect on my screen is not functionnallity,

Ripley

you use the sound with hdmi connect or whith out sound front ?

For me the sound on hdmi connect on my screen is not functionnallity,
HDMI sound works under Ubuntu 21.04 and Manjaro 21.0 XFCE Linux.
The GUI controls and Alsa Mixer work and I can control volume with a Logitech K400r bluetooth keyboard's volume keys.
I have tried the front AUX sound out connected to a set of powered speakers which also worked.
You might wish to check your settings either in Gnome settings or in alsamixer making sure the correct sound channel is selected.

Top Bottom