< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

[Solved] Bad date and time, cannot fix. Change battery ?

Guillaume

Hey guys
Have a lot of GN41, they are pretty good devices, great price.
But some of them have problems with windows date and time. Even if I set it back, enable or disable the automatic update, change server ... At some point the hour change to a bad value.
1- is there any workaround ?
2- shoud I change battery ? Is there a tutorial ? I am not afraid to do it, just to burn something and destroy the device :)

Some have the same problem than discussed in other thread : after powered off, I need to unplug and plug again so power button function.
Not convenient, but not a big deal neither.

Thanks

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
Hey guys
Have a lot of GN41, they are pretty good devices, great price.
But some of them have problems with windows date and time. Even if I set it back, enable or disable the automatic update, change server ... At some point the hour change to a bad value.
1- is there any workaround ?
2- shoud I change battery ? Is there a tutorial ? I am not afraid to do it, just to burn something and destroy the device :)

Some have the same problem than discussed in other thread : after powered off, I need to unplug and plug again so power button function.
Not convenient, but not a big deal neither.

Thanks
windows date and time:
1. If you check the Windows system date and time as the initial value. Turn off the power and disconnect the D/C for 10 minutes. If the date and time are still the initial values, the RTC battery may be no power.
2. If only the date and time cannot be updated automatically, there may be a system software problem (may be a virus.....), you can try to reinstall the system.

Guillaume

Hi Wen.
Thank you for your answers.

I did some tests : turn of, unplug, restart.
It looks like it display the hour of the time i turned it of.
If I turn it of at 10:00, wait for an hour, then turn it on, it display (approximatly) 10:00 instead of 11:00

I am not sure if it is the 1 or 2 of your options :)

Matt_H

Hi Wen.
Thank you for your answers.

I did some tests : turn of, unplug, restart.
It looks like it display the hour of the time i turned it of.
If I turn it of at 10:00, wait for an hour, then turn it on, it display (approximatly) 10:00 instead of 11:00

I am not sure if it is the 1 or 2 of your options :)
I have exactly the same roblem on my G4100.
I have reinstalled the Windows 10 3 time now same thing happens. I turned the G4100 off last night at 21:02. This morning I turned it on and it was still 21:02 last night. I have searched solutions and tried pretty much everything.
An ideas?

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
I have exactly the same roblem on my G4100.
I have reinstalled the Windows 10 3 time now same thing happens. I turned the G4100 off last night at 21:02. This morning I turned it on and it was still 21:02 last night. I have searched solutions and tried pretty much everything.
An ideas?
There are two situations
1. Press the reset button after shutting down
2. RTC battery is no power or low voltage

PIER

Hi all
had same problem on GN41+Win10. first I tried with reset button. It worked for some day but the first time I plugged a USB device still the problem came up. First date and time in the bios was ok but not in windows. You can update time in windows, but every time I shut down and restart after some hour the date and time was still at the time and date of the last time I used pc. But if you try this: push power button but do not login yet in windows, and in the welcome screen you see time not updated. Wait without login until after few seconds the screen disappear and become black (standby), move the mouse to wake up pc and magically the welcome screen reports correct time and date (!). But after some day also time and date in the bios were not ok, completely loss, and this happened again after any USB connection (i.e. external keys or cd or hard disk). So I decided to change the battery (15 minutes of terror and steam to open GN41 for the first time hoping to do not damage anything..!..aaaaahhhhhrgh). Finally I see the battery, a special edition of CR2032 with the electric contacts directly soldered on the battery faces (!!!!!) . The original battery measured 2,9V, I had a new (common) CR2032 measuring 3,3V. With a surgery operation a cutted contacts from the old one saving original cables and connector, the original battery is glued (biadesive tape) to the pcb so you have to detach it patiently. I tried to fix the old contacts on the faces of the new battery (respect polarities) fixin all with tape, and fixed battery with a new pieces of biadesive. Reassembled everything. Bios obviously was to update and configure it (at least date and time). Everything was ok for now. Date and time in the bios is always correct in the last week and never had to adjust it until now. BUT the second time I restarted windows STILL date and time were not updated (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!). I waited again without login to standby the pc, and after move the mouse re-appear the welcom mask with date and time correct. This is happened only one time. But in 1 week from change battery I do not had the problem again. I hope really to have solved the problem. If not, I write to you again to update you all....!

PIER

yes I know. Maybe my tester is not correct (may be...). I measured the old one: 2,9V. I buyed a new CR2032 and measured 3,3V. If my tester is not correct in the absolute value, it is more probable anyway that the difference of +0.4V on the new one is enough correct. I changed battery last week, and, at the moment, the problem SEEMS to be solved.

boker

Administrator
Staff member
yes I know. Maybe my tester is not correct (may be...). I measured the old one: 2,9V. I buyed a new CR2032 and measured 3,3V. If my tester is not correct in the absolute value, it is more probable anyway that the difference of +0.4V on the new one is enough correct. I changed battery last week, and, at the moment, the problem SEEMS to be solved.
What is SEEMS?

PIER

seems, from verb to seem.... seems to be solved, appear like solved, how can I explain..... I think after battery change the problem is solved. until today date and time are still ok

boker

Administrator
Staff member
seems, from verb to seem.... seems to be solved, appear like solved, how can I explain..... I think after battery change the problem is solved. until today date and time are still ok
This is good news. Haha, I thought SEEMS was a proper noun.

PIER

I'm demoralized..... problem is still here after 15 days from battery change!!! time and date in the bios are ok, but today STILL time and date in windows 10 are not updated, they are the same of the last shutdown.... I think to make an other try: check wifi situation at startup and verify if the automatic sincronization in win10 depends on the external time server (and not on bios). If it's true this, may be that at the startup, if wifi signal is not really good, the clock in windows cannot update; at the same time, the startup image in win 10 does not present the abitual text and description when time is not updated.... in effect my wifi connection is not so good, may be the problem? otherwise i cannot think to other checks and solutions.... any idea?

boker

Administrator
Staff member
I'm demoralized..... problem is still here after 15 days from battery change!!! time and date in the bios are ok, but today STILL time and date in windows 10 are not updated, they are the same of the last shutdown.... I think to make an other try: check wifi situation at startup and verify if the automatic sincronization in win10 depends on the external time server (and not on bios). If it's true this, may be that at the startup, if wifi signal is not really good, the clock in windows cannot update; at the same time, the startup image in win 10 does not present the abitual text and description when time is not updated.... in effect my wifi connection is not so good, may be the problem? otherwise i cannot think to other checks and solutions.... any idea?
If the CMOS battery is still good, but the computer time is still incorrect, you can handle the problematic synchronization settings. To ensure that Windows is synchronizing time,
Please press "Win + R"-> input "services.msc"-> "OK".
Find "Windows Time" in the "Services" window, right-click it, and select "Properties".

In the Windows Time Properties window, set the startup type to automatic. Then click "Start" to ensure that the service is running, and then click "OK" to save the changes.

PIER

I tryed also this, now we will verify in the next days.THANK YOU !!!!! in effect this setting on my GN41 was wrong. Hope this will be the definitive solution.....

PIER

Hi all
nothing to do..... also with this settings given by Gentle Mr.Boker still Win 10 makes what he want with time and date synchronization..... anytime works, anytime no. But once in a week ALSO bios time and date were wrong (time of last shutdown). I changed once battery with a new one last week using a standard CR2032, I tried to fix the old contacts on the faces of the new battery fixin all with tape but I thinked also that electrical connections that I arranged maybe were not so good and reliable . So I decided to buy again a new one (this:) 294 with cables and contacts just soldered on the faces of the battery (like the GN41 original).

In the mean time, I put in automatic execution at startup (using planning utility in Win10) this batch file (time.bat in C:\) containing only these 2 dos commands :
net time /setsntp:time.ien.it
w32tm /resync /nowait

to be repeated every 5 minutes, to assure time sync in windows.
The batch file works, you have only to take care to the various options to check in the programming/planning utility, but works.
I thinked also that, if there are not problems due to any failure at the motherboard of GN41 after less than 1 year (maybe, maybe not...??) another cause could be external interferences on or through my USB attached devices or my monitor (my monitor sometimes flickers, maybe it is at the end of it's life.....)... but these are only ipotesys, not probed. But I will try to investigate also in this direction .
I'll keep you updated

Top Bottom