< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

Reduce noise max

Michi

Hi,i wan't reduce the fannoice.
Okay it reduce the Power of this item.
What can i do in BIOS settings.
greets

Risae

Hi Michi,

I found out that whenever the DMAF5 CPU has to do some light and/or heavy work, the CPU frequency increases to its maximum.
In return the CPU sadly overheats and the fan does its job to keep it cool, but the fan is rather loud.
So far i found 2 solutions to the fan noise for the DMAF5:

1. Change the value of
- at what °C the fan starts
- at which interval it increases in fan RPM speed
- and when it should have its maximum RPM at at specified °C
in the BIOS.

In order to do that you have to access the BIOS by pressing "DEL" (Delete) repeatedly while the DMAF is booting up.
Under one of the BIOS settings there is the option to change those values (I don't have access to my DMAF right now so i can't check which one it was)

2. Change the Windows Power Settings to "Power Saving" or change the max CPU speed to 75/50% of its maximum.
Its possible to restrict the CPU frequency:
- by either using the "Power saving" power option
- or by manually decreasing the maximum amount of CPU frequency its allowed to go to:

With this i never really experience overheating anymore, but of course the speed of the DMAF5 is decreased by doing that.

I'm far from being a computer expert, but i believe that the fan/heatsink/Thermal paste is not ideal for the DMAF5.
If there is ever going to be a DMAF5 v2 i hope that they will be able to improve this aspect of the Mini PC.

Michi

Thanks for all,i think i do nothing. 36° degree.A human Body at moderate working.Nice manage....

Batdad

I just received the DMAF5 and I'm really surprised that the online reviews didn't mention the fan noise. Its terrible. Compared to my NUC 8 (Ghost Canyon) which I think is a more powerful PC in an equivalent form factor is is much much noisier. Its so noisy I actually don't want to use it. to me this needs a better thermal management solution, quieter fan and probably a bios update to reduce performance to keep the thermals lower. The fan noise is unacceptable in my view.

MiniManiac

1. Change the value of
in the BIOS.
Risea -- what did you change yours to? Please post a picture.

I changed the fan start to 65. It is much quieter. But I keep an eye on the temperature and it's only momentarily 'hot'. Like when opening a web browser. Then it goes back to 33-37 degrees C.

UPDATE

Since I'm not a gamer I never stress the system that way. But for kicks I opened Firefox, streamed 2 streams, and ran a quick virus check. Temps climbed to 51-55 but as quickly dropped to high 40s. Constant minimal fan noise (great!) instead of up and down WHOOSHING.

Last edited:

Batdad

I also changed the fan start to 65 in the bios and can report exactly the same result. The fan now hums along quietly in teh background instead of huge whoosh every time an application tried to open/close and basically do anything, Makes the PC usable where before I wanted to chuck it out the window

Risae

Risea -- what did you change yours to? Please post a picture.

I changed the fan start to 65. It is much quieter. But I keep an eye on the temperature and it's only momentarily 'hot'. Like when opening a web browser. Then it goes back to 33-37 degrees C.

UPDATE

Since I'm not a gamer I never stress the system that way. But for kicks I opened Firefox, streamed 2 streams, and ran a quick virus check. Temps climbed to 51-55 but as quickly dropped to high 40s. Constant minimal fan noise (great!) instead of up and down WHOOSHING.
Sorry for the late reply. I believe my fan starts at 45°C.
I'm mostly using my DMAF5 as a Plex server, so i only start it once i wanna watch something/move files.
In an Amazon Review i saw somebody talk about the fan noise and solving it by simply updating the AMD Radeon Drivers.
For anybody still having the issue:
Try to use the Display Driver Uninstaller (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) and install a clean copy of the Radeon software through the official AMD website. (maybe the Windows Update Display Driver is buggy?)

MiniManiac

Thanks for replying.

Sorry for the late reply. I believe my fan starts at 45°C.
That is the default setting. This is confusing. You recommended people do this --

Change the value of
in the BIOS.

-- but you didn't do this. Correct?

Try to use the Display Driver Uninstaller (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) and install a clean copy of the Radeon software through the official AMD website. (maybe the Windows Update Display Driver is buggy?)
Why would the display drivers cause fan noise? Extremely unlikely.

I've started a tangent thread over here --

Last edited:

Cruiserpaule

@Batdad - I saw, you had a NUC 8. In comparison DMAF5-NUC8, is the NUC8 quieter?
Should I buy a device from the INTEL NUC series? Or CSL-Computers, ASRock or what ever ?

Batdad

@Batdad - I saw, you had a NUC 8. In comparison DMAF5-NUC8, is the NUC8 quieter?
Should I buy a device from the INTEL NUC series? Or CSL-Computers, ASRock or what ever ?
My experience the Intel Hades Canyon runs much much quieter than minisforum DMAF5, but what isn't short of a 747 at take-off? The Hades Canyon (HVK) is an incredible machine running many AAA games at 60FPS at 1440P. Sure there's some fan noise but that's when gaming. Everyday use its very very quiet. Of course you are paying big bucks for a Hades Canyon even a couple of years down the line. I can't comment on CSL or ASRock. I think it depends on your use case. What do you plan to use the mini-pc for?

MiniManiac

but what isn't short of a 747 at take-off and What do you plan to use the mini-pc for?
I hope Minisforum (Kodlix?) understands this isn't some demanding Americans whining. (I have no clue if you're American, but guessing.) There should be rather robust yet almost silent minis being offered by somebody. Why? Imagine a classroom of 25 of these things. As they are the teacher would need a P.A. system to be heard. Or any office of 12 of these things would sound like LaGuardia.

Ya wanna cater to gamers?!? Fine. Have another line of WHISPER MINIS that caters to small quiet plenty fast minis. These units are on the brink of greatness.

Top Bottom