< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

on reboot only: Failed to start detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes

zilexa

I just received my brand new U820. I emailed Support with this issue but hope to solve it quickly as it is blocking.

I loaded the BIOS defaults, disabled Secure Boot then installed Ubuntu 21.04. Everything in Ubuntu seems to work just fine.

BUT:
When I reboot the device: it doesn't boot any further and shows 2 errors:

1. Failed to start detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes
  2. Failed to start Light Display Manager.
I do NOT have this issue when I choose shutdown instead of reboot, then power on the device with its power button.

How can I solve this? I disabled quick-boot already, no change.
The BIOS has many options, there is no documentation for any of them. I hope one of the options in the BIOS will help to solve this issue as it only seem to appear on reboot.

spikerguy

I do NOT have this issue when I choose shutdown instead of reboot, then power on the device with its power button.
This is a known issue with lightdm and gnome. I see it have latest intel gpu.

Let me find the fix for you.

Can you this fix.
Edit this file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

And add this line under [LightDM]

logind-check-graphical=true

Last edited:

zilexa

Thanks for your reply. I solved it like this:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
change: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nogpumanager", save and exit: CTRL+O, CTRL+X
update grub: sudo update-grub

But I am not sure if that is the desired solution. I will definitely try your fix today and report back.

Top Bottom