< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

No USB-C power supply fit to my HM80

AlbertJ

In the Bios of HM80 => NBIO Common Options => SMU Common Options
there are 10W to 54W POR configurations.
But... even if I chose 25W the computer will crash periodically "Kernel-Power Loss", but if I run any mission-critical calculations then the computer will crash and shuts down right away.

In my opinion, supplied 60 Watt USB-C charger can deliver power for any other than 15Watt and even that many times exceeds 62-65 Watt in my Scientific software.

I bought 2x 90Watt USB-C PD Power Supplyes and both won't power my HM80. It seems that HN80 is NOT compatible with ANY standard PD power supplies. Do Minisforum use some weird USB-C pinouts? I went to BestBuy with my HM80 and connected it to 10 different laptop USB-C PD chargers and NONE of them powered my Elitemini HM80. JUST the one Minisforum supply with it will power Elitemini HM80. Really? Why Minisfurum will do that? Why use "USB-C" and then none other than Minisfurum's works? What if I lose it or it is damaged, what I will toss my Elitemini HM80 into the garbage? Anyway now I cant configure 25W POR or any above since I think the supplied USB-C PD charger is extremely week. HN80 suppose to come with 100Watt power supply to allow heavy calculations and other than 15Watt TDP.

Please advise me exactly which USB-C PD Power Supply you use and where I can find a compatible 90Watt-100Watt USB-C PD Power Supply?

guntherm

In the Bios of HM80 => NBIO Common Options => SMU Common Options
there are 10W to 54W POR configurations.
But... even if I chose 25W the computer will crash periodically "Kernel-Power Loss", but if I run any mission-critical calculations then the computer will crash and shuts down right away.

In my opinion, supplied 60 Watt USB-C charger can deliver power for any other than 15Watt and even that many times exceeds 62-65 Watt in my Scientific software.

I bought 2x 90Watt USB-C PD Power Supplyes and both won't power my HM80. It seems that HN80 is NOT compatible with ANY standard PD power supplies. Do Minisforum use some weird USB-C pinouts? I went to BestBuy with my HM80 and connected it to 10 different laptop USB-C PD chargers and NONE of them powered my Elitemini HM80. JUST the one Minisforum supply with it will power Elitemini HM80. Really? Why Minisfurum will do that? Why use "USB-C" and then none other than Minisfurum's works? What if I lose it or it is damaged, what I will toss my Elitemini HM80 into the garbage? Anyway now I cant configure 25W POR or any above since I think the supplied USB-C PD charger is extremely week. HN80 suppose to come with 100Watt power supply to allow heavy calculations and other than 15Watt TDP.

Please advise me exactly which USB-C PD Power Supply you use and where I can find a compatible 90Watt-100Watt USB-C PD Power Supply?
Great question! I would like to know as well

AlbertJ

I replied directly by a sales representative that questioned about "Tech Department" that HM80 and other PD USB-C won't power HM80 since it not OK with PD standard. They suggested a Regular DC Charger 19Volt 5Amper to USB-C adapter. One like that:

AAOTOKK Type C Power Adapter Type C USB Male to DC 5.5x2.1mm Female Connector Charge Barrel Jack Power Adapter Type C.

I was quite furious about that:

Please talk with the same tech guys in Minisfurum who informed you about the non-standard DP protocol you use and tell them they are lucky I'm not their boss, since what the point to use USB-C DP connector as the power source but none of the existing USB-C DP's will fit in? They are supposed to use a regular DC 19V 5A socket and a regular PSU or use a Lenovo connector or Dell or design Minisfurum proprietary DC connector and no one will argue or complain. But putting there USB-C DP connector means IT IS USB-C DP! They confused me and caused a lot of time loss and now even ordering 7 different DC to USB-C connectors I'm NOT sure if any of them will power my HM80. Don't do that anymore, or inform clients you do nonstandard USB-C Power Delivery or the simplest use of an existing 19V 5A DC "charger" and add/supply several adaptors like that in the box in case of failure. If I was their boss they would lose their jobs."

This is a really terrible Power Design!

AlbertJ

working very well with 19 Volt 5 Amper power supply. This is a preferable adapter since it is wired and won't break if HM80 will hit something, I'm using that now.

but below working too, I ordered all of them since my I like my HM80

Now my HM80 is in its full power and working much better not crashing in any calculations or benchmarks. Before it was crashing all the time in Passmark Performance Test 10 CPU benchmarks. I'm very impressed by Ryzen 7 4800U very impressive CPU, for sure not my R7 5700G but not greatly far.

GPGPU-HM80-16GB3200Mhz-15W-25W.png

See by yourself floating-point calculations gain with 25 Watt TDP what is just amazing.
Also Cinebench I got now 4043 points, very impressed before in 15 Watt I had just 3600 points.

CB20-CPU-25W-HM80-16GB3200Mhz.PNG
PT10-CPU-25W-HM80-16GB3200Mhz.PNG

CB15-CPU-25W-HM80-16GB3200Mhz.PNG

Hope you guys having this great computer - HN80 will order the wired adapter and buy for it a 100 Watt power supply as I did.

Good luck

Albert J.

Last edited:

PeterC

I was here.

Thanks for asking this important question and providing a comprehensive answer too.

Thanks

guntherm

I am sorry, so what aftermarket power supply did you purchase for these adapters?

Last edited:

PeterC

I've had some interesting results

19V 4.74A 90W PSU
BIOS = 15W -----------> 25W profile
CineBench R20 = 3560 -----------> 4033
Max temps under CB20 load ------------------>90degC
All Core Max under CB20 load --------------------> 3.5GHz

Normal service resumed afterwards (1.8-4.2GHz) under idle loads, but I will report back (if necessary) what happens under gaming loads later.

I was more concerned about finding a second power supply unit for the future.

These changes could possibly mean that there will be no future for me to be concerned about. :eek:

Still, 90degC is well within the 105degC TjMax spec. Fingers crossed.

Best of luck.

EDIT
Under these settings I discovered that .......
A simple (full) Windows Defender scan places too much stress on the compact cooling system, reaching sustained 105degC plus for 5+ minutes.
This makes the regular security screening more like an unplanned/random extreme burn test that could easily cause damage.
So I have decided against using any other power profile besides the original standard and keeping the PSU/adapter in reserve.
Quiet and reserved.

Last edited:

AlbertJ

I'm using now the HP 90Watt power supply that fits in the jack of "axGear USB 3.1 Type C USB-C to DC 5.5 x 2.5mm Power Jack Converter" below

I like this adapter since it's wired and can't break or cause harm as one would connected directly onto my HM80.

I strongly recommend going on 100 or even 120 Watt power supplies, there are plenty out there for about 20 CA$.

stebia

I'm using now the HP 90Watt power supply that fits in the jack of "axGear USB 3.1 Type C USB-C to DC 5.5 x 2.5mm Power Jack Converter" below

I like this adapter since it's wired and can't break or cause harm as one would connected directly onto my HM80.

I strongly recommend going on 100 or even 120 Watt power supplies, there are plenty out there for about 20 CA$.
Thanks for the information, under sustained load on all core (like video encoding) what is the average frequency on all core?
Have you tried the NBIO Common Options => SMU Common Options at 54W?
I'm interested to have all core running at 4.2 GHz for as long as possible, with appropriate PSU. Cooling shouldn't be an issue since it has the same cooler of the X400 and my 4750G stays around 80°C under continuos encoding at 65W.

AlbertJ

Non of USB-C PD power adaptors will work since these have multiple Voltage outputs
5V, 9V, 12V, 19V
and maybe more, but Minisforum devices have no sensor to pick up 19V, and since any low voltage will work and so won't power HM80 or any other Minisforum devices. Since I use the adaptors I offered, they working with proper 19V 90watt or 19V 120Watt power supplies I have connected to these adaptors.

Attachments

Reactions: Wen

AlbertJ

I won't suggest going over 25Watt TDP (over BIOS = 25W profile) since even at 25Watt and at load, the motherboard becomes 85 Celsius hot and for a prolonged time, this is not good for the motherboard. Use adaptor I suggested and JUST BIOS = 25W profile, HM80 working very well at that TDP and extremely stable since I did my setup I didn't have even one crash or Blue window of death.

Albert. J.

PeterC

I won't suggest going over 25Watt TDP (over BIOS = 25W profile) since even at 25Watt and at load, the motherboard becomes 85 Celsius hot and for a prolonged time, this is not good for the motherboard. Use adaptor I suggested and JUST BIOS = 25W profile, HM80 working very well at that TDP and extremely stable since I did my setup I didn't have even one crash or Blue window of death.

Albert. J.

Respectfully,
Please try a FULL system scan using Windows Defender at 25Watts TDP.
Let me know what you see.
PS
Read my edit above first.

My take?
The compact cooling hardware on the HM80 can't take the strain of how hard the operation of Windows Defender is implemented.
This gives rise to 105 deg C sustained for 5-10 minutes at 25Watt TDP, using an uprated PSU, therefore IMO, even selecting 25Watt TDP is risky.
I have tried to limit Windows Defenders' CPU utilization, but the suggested registry hacks don't have any effect.
The cooler, being necessarily compact, doesn't have the power dissipation rate required for safe operation at 25Watts TDP, that a larger unit would have.
I recommend not going above 15Watts TDP. The difference is simply not relevant in real world terms versus the strain placed on the CPU.

BigBoppa

No, i just open ryzen controller to show status. I think i found my mistake: In BIOS i selected entry No. 2: "15W POR Configuration - 2 Commercial/Customer" so this should be 15W TDP. But why are ryzen controller and hwinfo both showing 25W Package power, even for long time period?
BIOS is 5.16 - 07/09/2021
HWinfo 2021-11-12 160833.png
TDP = 15.0W
CPU Power Limit 1 - Long Duration = 25.00W --- does this make sense?

edit: i just read your post #7 so we have the same 15W TDP running at 25W long term... BIOS-BUG?

Last edited:

PeterC

No, i just open ryzen controller to show status. I think i found my mistake: In BIOS i selected entry No. 2: "15W POR Configuration - 2 Commercial/Customer" so this should be 15W TDP. But why are ryzen controller and hwinfo both showing 25W Package power, even for long time period?
BIOS is 5.16 - 07/09/2021
View attachment 986
TDP = 15.0W
CPU Power Limit 1 - Long Duration = 25.00W --- does this make sense?

edit: i just read your post #7 so we have the same 15W TDP running at 25W long term... BIOS-BUG?
I've now set BIOS to AUTO TDP (last option in BIOS list)
and
Using Ryzen Controller settings at startup of CPU 25W TDP / long boost 33W / short boost 30W / 95 degC limit
without any issues
and reaching Cinebench R20 scores of 3900 without pushing any limits

BTW STILL USING THE ORIGINAL OEM PSU

I think I'll stick with that because that's the limit of my knowledge today
If anyone knows how to tweek the other settings in Ryzen Controller further I'd like to know

Top Bottom