< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

N42 WoL does not work after power fail

raintonr

Hi,

I have a MinisForum N42 which looks the same as the N33 aside, just has a Pentium N4200 CPU instead. Forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong forum - admin, feel free to move if so.

Anyhow, I actually bought this for a low power home server but it is very distressing to me that it has no BIOS config settings for what to do after a power fail condition.

As I'm running it as a server, naturally want it to turn on and boot after any power failure. But cannot find a setting to do that.

It does have a WoL (wake on LAN) setting that I have tried. This does work if one manually shuts the machine down but not after a power fail.

To spell this out:

If one enters 'sudo poweroff' (I'm running Linux) then the machine shuts down, but the script I have running on other hardware (that does properly recover after power fail) detects the N42 is not running then sends a magic packet to wake it and the N42 restarts. That is as you would expect.

If one simply pulls the power cord to simulate a power outage then my script still detects the N42 is not running but after plugging it back in, no matter how many magic packets are sent out, the N42 refuses to start.

There are no status lights on the N42 ethernet port but looking at my switch can see that in the first scenario the switch 'connection' light is on whereas in the second, after power is restored, there is no connection. Seems that the ethernet hardware does not automatically start after a power failure so there's no chance that a WoL packet will work.

As this machine cannot automatically boot after power fail and wake on Lan does not work correctly it's not very useful to me.

Is there something I've missed? Should this work on the model I have? If so, is there any chance of getting an updated bios or other fix or workaround?

Thanks,

Robin

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
N42 is an early product and is different from N33. Does not support automatic power-on

raintonr

Hi,

Yes, I get that it does not support auto power-on. So why does the WoL not work? Is there any chance of an update to the BIOS to correct this?

As a home server it is unreliable if it does not recover from power fail and I will have to get another machine :(

Thanks,

Robin

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, I get that it does not support auto power-on. So why does the WoL not work? Is there any chance of an update to the BIOS to correct this?

As a home server it is unreliable if it does not recover from power fail and I will have to get another machine :(

Thanks,

Robin
WOL SOP has been sent to your email, please check.

Top Bottom