< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

N34/N42 Install M.2 2242 SSD

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
Fixed SSD screws: M1.4*4.5*3.5*0.5
1.Remove the black rubber pad and unscrew the screw.

2. Insert the card slightly in the gap near the VGA card, the card along the rotation around, open the back cover.

3. Open the shell as shown, unscrew the motherboard screws.

4. The motherboard apart, you can find the red area of the slot, here is the place to insert M.2 2242 SSD. (The current test support is 256G)

5. Reinstall the motherboard onto the top case. Note: The two cables must be noted when installing.

6. Installation success as shown below

7. Install the back cover as shown below.

Last edited:

andyhood

Hi,

Thanks..very useful instructions. Is it possible to then boot and run Windows from the SSD or does that always have to start from the C drive?

Andy

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
andyhood said:
Hi,

Thanks..very useful instructions. Is it possible to then boot and run Windows from the SSD or does that always have to start from the C drive?

Andy
Hello,

It is always started on drive C. Unless you are repartitioning the machine's disk and installing the system on an SSD, I do not recommend any such operation because it is both risky and requires some knowledge.

Best regards,
Hu

LinuxHippy

How bout dual booting the installed Win10 on the 32 GB C drive and then booting Linux on the SSD. Is that possible? I'm very familiar with Linux and have that installed on my other computers.

Marty

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
LinuxHippy said:
How bout dual booting the installed Win10 on the 32 GB C drive and then booting Linux on the SSD.  Is that possible?  I'm very familiar with Linux and have that installed on my other computers.

Marty
or your requirements, I think you need to have some guidance and dual hard disk boot dual system, in this regard, there are some suggestions, you need to separate the two hard disks into separate hard drives (EMMC and SSD), and then install Linux to the SSD Among them, the boot or reboot, press F7 to confirm your system boot, Linux installed on your hard drive and boot, I think you want to understand, may not support, no one has tried this knowledge.

Finally, I want to tell you that you can understand the SSD as a USB flash drive, and then boot the Linux system through a similar USB flash drive.

Best regards,
Hu

andyhood

MinisForum said:
andyhood said:
Hi,

Andy
Hello,

It is always started on drive C. Unless you are repartitioning the machine's disk and installing the system on an SSD, I do not recommend any such operation because it is both risky and requires some knowledge.

Best regards,
Hu

Hi Can you not simply clone the C: drive to the new D: drive then tell the BIOS to boot from D:?
Anything goes wrong you can simply boot from C: again...as it might with a rescue USb stick or CD drive.

Systema

Hello from France and sorry (you know, French guys and foreign languages...)

I had no problem cloning the 64Gb emmc to a Transcent 256Gb SSD with "SSD-Scope", downloaded on the Transcent website.
I checked the "Extend disk" option and W10 boots OK from the SSD.
I just do not see the emmc any more.
Yves

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/customer-reviews/R1U9N8SBMXZ7VY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B075P1JSGL

andyhood

Systema said:

I had no problem cloning the 64Gb emmc to a Transcent 256Gb SSD with "SSD-Scope", downloaded on the Transcent website.
Yves

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/customer-reviews/R1U9N8SBMXZ7VY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B075P1JSGL

Excellent English Yves.and you know English guys and foreign languages!

That's really interesting..and helpful. Did you see if the C: EMMC drive reappeared when the M2 was removed? I'm wondering if it disappearing was a result of the cloning software.. and not recoverable.. or just temporary.

A 256GB drive will certainly make it a lot more usable and I guess a lot faster.
Regards
Andy

Systema

andyhood said:
Systema said:

Yves

That's really interesting..and helpful. Did you see if the C:  EMMC drive reappeared when the M2 was removed? I'm wondering if it disappearing was a result of the cloning software.. and not recoverable.. or just temporary.

A 256GB drive will certainly make it a lot more usable and I guess a lot faster.
Regards
Andy
Hello again !
Yes, the emmc drive reappeared and it booted fine.
I have also done a factory reset since without problem.
Then I sold it, waiting for a version with more RAM. I think 4Gb is not enough for W10!
Yves

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
Systema said:
andyhood said:
Systema said:

Yves

That's really interesting..and helpful. Did you see if the C:  EMMC drive reappeared when the M2 was removed? I'm wondering if it disappearing was a result of the cloning software.. and not recoverable.. or just temporary.

Regards
Andy
Hello again !
Then I sold it, waiting for a version with more RAM. I think 4Gb is not enough for W10!
Yves
Hello Systema,

I think you can refer to the N42-D, which can get more RAM.

Best regards,
Hu

andyhood

Systema said:
andyhood said:
Systema said:

Yves

Regards
Andy
Hello again !
Yves

Yes, more system RAM is a consideration..there are models around with upgradable RAM and of course some with 8GB as standard.
Andy

andyhood

Hi Yves

I bought a Kingspec 128GB SSD (Transcend drives were out of stock) and cloned the C: drive to that quite happily but the original C: drive still appears and I think it's still booting from it. Must be some difference between Macrium Reflect, which is what I used for the clone, and the Transcend software you used I guess.
Were you doing it on an N3450 or a 4200 model PC?

Kind regards

Andy

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
andyhood said:
Hi Yves

I bought a Kingspec 128GB SSD (Transcend drives were out of stock) and cloned the C: drive to that quite happily but the original C: drive still appears and I think it's still booting from it. Must be some difference between Macrium Reflect, which is what I used for the clone, and the Transcend software you used I guess.

Kind regards

Andy
Hello Andy,

I think you can refer to this customer feedback to me:
To create a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro on an SSD I did the following:
1.Fitted the SSD according to your websites instructions: http://www.minisforum.com/showthread.php?tid=58
2.Powered the N34 then pressed WIN key, typed Disk Management and selected "Create and format hard disk partition".
3.Identified and selected the newly newly added SSD in the list, right clicked it and selected Create (new) Partition.
4.Selected all the default values and ensured the maximum size was set, then let it create and format the partition.
5.Once completed, the SSD drive then showed up in My Computer as an accessible drive for storage.
6.Downloaded Windows Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
7.Ran the Creation Tool and selected "Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file) for another PC).
8.Left the Language, Edition, and Architecture as the defaults as it had automatically detected these options.
9.Then, with a 16GB NTFS formatted USB inserted into the USB port on the N34, I selected "USB flash drive" and continued to follow the instructions.
10.When it had finished creating a Windows 10 Pro bootable USB I reset the N34 and booted in BIOS (by requiring pressing the Del or F2 key).
11.In BIOS I changed the boot-up sequence so that the USB (still plugged into the USB port) would boot first.
12.Saved the changes then reset the N34.
13.The N34 booted straight into the Windows 10 Pro installation process (from my USB stick which was still plugged in).
14.I followed the Windows 10 Pro installation process ensuring to select the SSD as the location to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro onto.
15.Once the installation was complete the N34 reset and asked which Windows 10 Pro instance I'd like to boot from. (Remember that there are now 2 instances of Windows installed, one on the internal 32G HDD and the other on the newly installed SSD.) I selected the SSD Windows 10 Pro instance to boot from.
16.Once I was on the Window log in screen, I logged in and safely removed the USB stick.
17.I then went back into Disk Management (see step 2.) and formatted the internal 32GB HDD to NTFS - maximum size selected, so that I could later use this HDD as additional storage. (Note, after formatting this HDD, this instance Of Windows 10 Pro is no longer available to boot.)
18.I reset the N34, went back into BIOS (see step 5.) and reverted the boot up order so that USB was not the first device to boot.
19.I saved and exited BIOS and reset the N34 which then successfully booted into Windows 10 Pro (without any prompts now as only one instance of W10Pro is installed).

Best regards,
Hu

andyhood

MinisForum said:
andyhood said:
Hi Yves

Kind regards

Andy
Hello Andy,

1.Fitted the SSD according to your websites instructions: http://www.minisforum.com/showthread.php?tid=58
2.Powered the N34 then pressed WIN key, typed Disk Management and selected "Create and format hard disk partition".
3.Identified and selected the newly newly added SSD in the list, right clicked it and selected Create (new) Partition.
4.Selected all the default values and ensured the maximum size was set, then let it create and format the partition.
5.Once completed, the SSD drive then showed up in My Computer as an accessible drive for storage.
6.Downloaded Windows Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
7.Ran the Creation Tool and selected "Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file) for another PC).
8.Left the Language, Edition, and Architecture as the defaults as it had automatically detected these options.
9.Then, with a 16GB NTFS formatted USB inserted into the USB port on the N34, I selected "USB flash drive" and continued to follow the instructions.
10.When it had finished creating a Windows 10 Pro bootable USB I reset the N34 and booted in BIOS (by requiring pressing the Del or F2 key).
11.In BIOS I changed the boot-up sequence so that the USB (still plugged into the USB port) would boot first.
13.The N34 booted straight into the Windows 10 Pro installation process (from my USB stick which was still plugged in).
14.I followed the Windows 10 Pro installation process ensuring to select the SSD as the location to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro onto.
15.Once the installation was complete the N34 reset and asked which Windows 10 Pro instance I'd like to boot from. (Remember that there are now 2 instances of Windows installed, one on the internal 32G HDD and the other on the newly installed SSD.) I selected the SSD Windows 10 Pro instance to boot from.
16.Once I was on the Window log in screen, I logged in and safely removed the USB stick.
17.I then went back into Disk Management (see step 2.) and formatted the internal 32GB HDD to NTFS - maximum size selected, so that I could later use this HDD as additional storage. (Note, after formatting this HDD, this instance Of Windows 10 Pro is no longer available to boot.)
18.I reset the N34, went back into BIOS (see step 5.) and reverted the boot up order so that USB was not the first device to boot.
19.I saved and exited BIOS and reset the N34 which then successfully booted into Windows 10 Pro (without any prompts now as only one instance of W10Pro is installed).

Best regards,
Hu

Thanks Hu..very detailed.

The Macrium Reflect cloning worked fine and what I had forgotten was to change the UEFI BIOS boot setting. The PC now boots quite happily from the KingSpec SSD and the internal drive has disappeared. I think I'll keep it that way as if the SSD ever fails I can simply remove it and boot from the original EEMC drive again.
I will download and set up the Windows Media Creation Tool though and make sure I have a backup boot system on a USB drive.

The SSD incidentally works very well and the system runs much more quickly.
Thanks
Andy

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
andyhood said:
MinisForum said:
andyhood said:
Hi Yves

Kind regards

Andy
Hello Andy,

Best regards,
Hu

Thanks Hu..very detailed.

The Macrium Reflect cloning worked fine and what I had forgotten was to change the UEFI BIOS boot setting. The PC now boots quite happily from the KingSpec SSD and the internal drive has disappeared. I think I'll keep it that way as if the SSD ever fails I can simply remove it and boot from the original EEMC drive again.
I will download and set up the Windows Media Creation Tool though and make sure I have a backup boot system on a USB drive.

The SSD incidentally works very well and the system runs much more quickly.
Thanks
Andy
Hello Andy,

Very happy and able to solve the problem for you, all this is very good.

Thank you for your support and trust in our products.

Best regards,
Hu

techrey

MinisForum said:
2. Insert the card slightly in the gap near the VGA card, the card along the rotation around, open the back cover.

4. The motherboard apart, you can find the red area of the slot, here is the place to insert M.2 2242 SSD. (The current test support is 256G)

5. Reinstall the motherboard onto the top case. Note: The two cables must be noted when installing.

Hi,

The images are not loading for me. I've tried different devices and browsers.

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
techrey said:
MinisForum said:

Hi,

Dear Sir,

I have not encountered your problem, I am using a google browser.

Best regards,
Huang

Almilcar

MinisForum said:
techrey said:
MinisForum said:

Hi,

Dear Sir,

Best regards,
Huang
Huang, good morning from Europe,

I do have the same issue. None of the images are visible for me regardless the browser or device I use.

Is there an alternative, i.e. a PDF or something similar where to refer?

Thanks

techrey

MinisForum said:
techrey said:
MinisForum said:

Hi,

Dear Sir,

Best regards,
Huang
Hello Huang,

I've tried Google Chrome, FireFox, Silk, and Internet Explorer.  I have tried on a tablet (Amazon Fire), a laptop (running Windows 7) and a desktop PC (running Windows 8.1), but no images load.

Thanks.

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
techrey said:
MinisForum said:
techrey said:
MinisForum said:

Hi,

Dear Sir,

Best regards,
Huang
Hello Huang,

I've tried Google Chrome, FireFox, Silk, and Internet Explorer.  I have tried on a tablet (Amazon Fire), a laptop (running Windows 7) and a desktop PC (running Windows 8.1), but no images load.

Thanks.
Dear Sir,

You can download it in the following link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vh84gra0rm738bk/N34%252CN42_Install_M.2_2242_SSD.docx/file

Best regards,
Huang

xenoninc

Is the DC power input on the N34 capable of handling a 24VDC input?  We would like to put the PC in a control panel where 24V is available.

I know most power supplies have a universal input, but I didnt see a voltage range in the documentation.

Thanks!

Top Bottom