< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

Move OS ?

Uncle Ron

I have the latest Kodlix Mini with Windows 10 Pro--8GB memory. My intention was (and is) to use it as a Plex server. So far, I am -very- pleased. I installed a 500GB Samsung SSD internal for Plex metadata and that seems to be working just fine too. (Content files are on an external 4TB USB drive.) Except for Plex, which delivers 1 video stream very well to my network, -everything- else (all other applications, utilities, etc.) is achingly slow. Here's my question: The 128 GB M.2 NVMe (via CrystalDiskMark) is really slow and at idle, runs -very- hot at 70 decrees C. The Samsung SSD (also via CrystalDiskMark) is -much- faster--and cooler. What would you think about cloning the NVMe boot drive to the Samsung and use the Samsung as the boot drive, and for programs and Plex metadata, and somehow "turn off" the NVMe and eliminate it as a source of heat?

joey

Administrator
Staff member
In theory, NVme SSD should not be slow, please send me your bios version (according to the following operation), and performance list to me I will assist you to solve these problems.
Step: Press "Win + R"-> "msinfo32"-> see BIOS version.

Uncle Ron

Just FYI. This is the CrystalDiskMark benchmark for both internal drives: The Left is the NVMe SSD card, the Right is the Samsung 500GB.CrystalDiskMark.jpg

Uncle Ron

What is this? What will it do? I would like a little more explanation please. The .pdf says, "Update EC(Support auto power on.)" I don't need "auto power on." I don't want to risk bricking my machine unless this will fix the lousy performance of the NVMe card and the overall performance of the machine. It's not worth the risk. Also, it would be much better if I had a script to automate the installation. There are lots of commands and one wrong letter and it's toast.

joey

Administrator
Staff member
Updating the EC can improve the performance of the CPU, and of course the read and write speed of the SSD

Uncle Ron

Joey, thanks for the EC ROM update. FYI: On the left is the last DiskMark BEFORE the EC ROM update. On the right is the DiskMark AFTER the EC. The NVMe performance is much better, however, IMO, program performance is still achingly slow. I will test further.

DiskMark 1.jpgAfter EC.jpg

Uncle Ron

Joey, I don't understand this. The DiskMark I made after updating the EC showed the above much improved result. Now, it's showing the below, right back where it was, in fact a little worse.
BACKWARDS.jpg

Uncle Ron

I cloned the NVMe boot drive to the internal Samsung 500 GB SSD. Removed the NVMe. The SSD is now the C: boot drive. Performance is improved and the temp of the SSD is normal. All seems to be well with no real issues appearing in Event Viewer. I wouldn't sell the Kodlix with an NVMe. I'd sell it with a 128 GB SSD. Also, I believe the NVMe was partially defective as I bought an NVMe 'carrier' with USB attachment and it didn't work. I'm glad I removed it.

Uncle Ron

Joey, I posted a request to know if the Kodlix power is strong enough to allow TWO external spinning USB drives. Can you tell me?

Top Bottom