< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

Linux version system for the Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
NOTE: 
1). HDMI Audio is not supported due to some incompatibilities of the sound card, the others are all ok; 
2). If you need the HDMI Audio, please do not install this linux system;


1. Thanks to the script "isorespin.sh" invented by Linuxium, which makes me less frustrated.
2. Thanks to the driver developed by plbossart fortcl-rt5651.
    Driver Download Address: https://github.com/plbossart/UCM/tree/master/bytcr-rt5651 
3. Hope there are people that can help solve this hug of HDMI


Firstlt, let's have a look at the basic statistics:
 v4.9 including the eMMC v5.0 driver required for accessing the internal storage;
 v4.11 including the HDMI audio driver;
 v4.12 recognizing the BCM43455 wifi driver but suffered a regression with the release of v4.13;
 v4.13.2 / v4.14 including a fix for BCM43455 wifi driver;
 v4.14 including a fix for the headphone audio driver;
 v4.15-rc1 now includes a fix for the bluetooth driver;

I have updated the Bionic to V4.16-rc3, which makes the Wifi, Bluetooth, and audio work properly (no HDMI audio).

Audio is implemented with a single code, and you need to add snd_hdmi_lpe_audio to your blacklist, which can prevent HDMI from interfering with our rt5651 sound driver.

Through the Code: 
echo blacklist snd_hdmi_lpe_audio> /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf

After rebooting, you will see the audio device.

WIFI: Please make sure the wifi chip of your machine is AP6255.

Way to check the mode of Wifi chip:
Boot or restart the pc -> Press "Delete" and Enter into BIOS Interface -> Select" BOOT "-> Check " Broadcom WiFi Select" -> Check if "it is AP6255 and selected"

Anything that can help to fix HDMI Audio would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Download Address: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L5febHNoK0IH8U3W-0Q8AVitRHiLviw0/view?usp=sharing

[attachment=51]
[attachment=52]
[attachment=53]
 

ginobean

New Member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

I've installed this V4.16-rc3 build on my Z83-II mini-pc.

I've confirmed that the wifi works, and the audio works through the headphone jack.

But I am unable to enable Bluetooth. When I try to enable it, it just stays off.
 

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

ginobean said:
I've installed this V4.16-rc3 build on my Z83-II mini-pc.

I've confirmed that the wifi works, and the audio works through the headphone jack.

But I am unable to enable Bluetooth. When I try to enable it, it just stays off.
Hello Sir,

I think I also seriously explained that this only applies to "Z83-W" and "Z83-F", if you can not get Bluetooth, I can only suggest that you use this installation package:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99O3A0dDe67X1BhcV9IVmdaWDA/edit

When you are finished installing, enter:
sudo systemctl start rtl8723bsbt.service

Check whether you can turn on the Bluetooth device. If it can not be enabled, go to the BIOS and check whether the device is AP6255.

If you installed successfully and solved, please advise.

Best regards,
Hu
 

ginobean

New Member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

MinisForum said:
ginobean said:
I've installed this V4.16-rc3 build on my Z83-II mini-pc.

I've confirmed that the wifi works, and the audio works through the headphone jack.

But I am unable to enable Bluetooth. When I try to enable it, it just stays off.
Hello Sir,

I think I also seriously explained that this only applies to "Z83-W" and "Z83-F", if you can not get Bluetooth, I can only suggest that you use this installation package:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99O3A0dDe67X1BhcV9IVmdaWDA/edit

When you are finished installing, enter:
sudo systemctl start rtl8723bsbt.service

Check whether you can turn on the Bluetooth device. If it can not be enabled, go to the BIOS and check whether the device is AP6255.

If you installed successfully and solved, please advise.

Best regards,
Hu

---
If I remember correctly, I did some cursory searches for Z83-W and/or Z83-F and the specs looked almost identical to those for Z83-II. 

BTW, based on your suggestion, I checked my BIOS settings, noticed that I could actually select between 2 different wifi modules, one of them being AP6255. So I changed it to use this 6255 device, and I was then able to get bluetooth working! 

In fact, I hooked up a bluetooth gamepad and used it to play a sample game, as a test. 

So it looks like this build will work for the Z83-II, in addition to the Z83-W and Z83-F. 

Good job!

BTW, I recommend that people who want to try this build, install it as an additional system image instead of as a primary system image. Sometimes it seems to hang during the login process. I'm sure that the Ubuntu folks will iron out the kinks in time for the release date..

Cheers :).
 

ginobean

New Member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

I believe the aforementioned system image is NOT UEFI signed, meaning that you will have to go into your BIOS settings,
select the 'Boot' tab, go to 'Boot Option Priorities', and make sure the first entry is for [ubuntu]. Now, near the bottom of the screen, you'll see 'UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities'. Drill into it and make sure that 'Boot option #1' is set to [ubuntu]. One you've made these two changes, save settings and reboot. You should now be able to load a non-UEFI system image.

Otherwise, you'll see it go into a perpetual loop, where it tries to load the image, but it isn't UEFI signed, so it restarts the system again. You'll see it flashing over and over again.. Very disconcerting to see!

Just something to keep in mind, that you'll most likely need to tweak your BIOS settings as I've fuzzily laid out above.
[hr]
Hu (Administrator),

I happened to install a plain vanilla version of Lubuntu (lubuntu-17.10.1-desktop-amd64.iso), which I also installed on my Z83-II mini-pc.
Interestingly, I was able to get hdmi sound from my television.

I ran these two commands, in order to get an audio device to show up on pavucontrol:
cd /lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/kernel/sound/x86/
sudo insmod snd-hdmi-lpe-audio.ko

Then, these following two commands played on my television speakers: (Blow.wav is a just sample .wav audio file). Just to be sure, 
I played the sounds with my television muted and then unmuted, to make sure that the sounds were indeed coming from my television and not from my auxiliary speakers.

aplay -D plughw:CARD=Audio,DEV=2 /usr/local/sounds/Blow.wav

this works:
aplay -D hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=2 /usr/local/sounds/Blow.wav

So the question is what is different in Lubuntu 17.10.1, which allows me to play, using aplay, to my hdmi television's speakers?
 

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

ginobean said:
I believe the aforementioned system image is NOT UEFI signed, meaning that you will have to go into your BIOS settings,
select the 'Boot' tab, go to 'Boot Option Priorities', and make sure the first entry is for [ubuntu]. Now, near the bottom of the screen, you'll see 'UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities'. Drill into it and make sure that 'Boot option #1' is set to [ubuntu]. One you've made these two changes, save settings and reboot. You should now be able to load a non-UEFI system image.

Otherwise, you'll see it go into a perpetual loop, where it tries to load the image, but it isn't UEFI signed, so it restarts the system again. You'll see it flashing over and over again.. Very disconcerting to see!

Just something to keep in mind, that you'll most likely need to tweak your BIOS settings as I've fuzzily laid out above.
[hr]
Hu (Administrator),

I happened to install a plain vanilla version of Lubuntu (lubuntu-17.10.1-desktop-amd64.iso), which I also installed on my Z83-II mini-pc.
Interestingly, I was able to get hdmi sound from my television.

I ran these two commands, in order to get an audio device to show up on pavucontrol:
cd /lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/kernel/sound/x86/
sudo insmod snd-hdmi-lpe-audio.ko

Then, these following two commands played on my television speakers: (Blow.wav is a just sample .wav audio file). Just to be sure, 
I played the sounds with my television muted and then unmuted, to make sure that the sounds were indeed coming from my television and not from my auxiliary speakers.

aplay -D plughw:CARD=Audio,DEV=2 /usr/local/sounds/Blow.wav

this works:
aplay -D hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=2 /usr/local/sounds/Blow.wav

So the question is what is different in Lubuntu 17.10.1, which allows me to play, using aplay, to my hdmi television's speakers?
Hello Ginobean,

Thank you for your answer.

Is it easy for you to upload and send your ISO file to the forum? I think I can try to install and test, if it is perfectly compatible, it is a great thing.

Thank you for sharing.

Best regards,
Hu
 

ginobean

New Member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

Hi Hu, 

I simply used the stock Lubuntu 17.10.1 64 bit iso image. You can get it here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/17.10.1/release/ 

So, with the insmod kludge above, I was able to get aplay to send the output to my television speakers.

I'm using a wired ethernet connection, which works fine, but I'm not seeing a wifi option anywhere, so it looks like wifi is not working out of the box, for this Lubuntu iso. Also, the bluetooth icon is disabled, so I think bluetooth is also not working out of the box either.  

Best, :).
 

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

ginobean said:
Hi Hu, 

I simply used the stock Lubuntu 17.10.1 64 bit iso image. You can get it here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/17.10.1/release/ 

So, with the insmod kludge above, I was able to get aplay to send the output to my television speakers.

I'm using a wired ethernet connection, which works fine, but I'm not seeing a wifi option anywhere, so it looks like wifi is not working out of the box, for this Lubuntu iso. Also, the bluetooth icon is disabled, so I think bluetooth is also not working out of the box either.  

Best, :).
Hello ginobean,

For Bluetooth, you can try to install the installation package I gave you and enable it.
For Wifi, you can use http://www.mediafire.com/file/3cc5xjy7qh1qazo/4345r6nvram.txt

Download this script and use the following command:
cp 4345r6nvram.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt

Check if it helps you.

Best regards,
Hu
 

ginobean

New Member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

Hu,

Out of curiosity, I used ukuu (see https://itsfoss.com/upgrade-linux-kernel-ubuntu/ ) to install kernel 4.12.14 and use it with Bionic Beaver.
And was able to get hdmi audio working through my television speakers.

Recipe:
1. Install kernel 4.12.14, using ukuu-gtk (ukuu with graphical interface)
2. un-blacklist snd-hdmi-lpe-audio from /etc/modprobe.d
3. followed Linuxium's instruction here (http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2017/10/fixing-broken-hdmi-audio.html) , for fixing broken audio.
   a. For me these two worked:
        aplay -D sysdefault:CARD=Audio /usr/local/sounds/Blow.wav
        aplay -D plughw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 /usr/local/sounds/Blow.wav

4. Continuing to follow Linuxium's instructions (from previous step), edited /etc/pulse/default.pa, to set module-alsa-sink to device=sysdefault:CARD=Audio
5. Comment out the lines in /etc/pulse/default.pa that automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available (again, see Linuxium's instructions for the details)
6. Do a 'pulseaudio -k' or reboot, to effect the changes.

The broken hdmi audio is probably due to this bug, which was present in kernel
4.13.1.-1 : https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/55592


I've confirmed that I've got hdmi audio working, wifi working. The one thing that isn't working with this latest setup is bluetooth.

If I get a chance, I'll try to take a look at your recent suggestion getting bluetooth working..
[hr]
Hu,
I just tried your bluetooth installation package at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99O3A0...daWDA/edit , but was unable to get Bluetooth working
with kernel 4.12.14.
 

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

ginobean said:
Hu,

Out of curiosity, I used ukuu (see https://itsfoss.com/upgrade-linux-kernel-ubuntu/ ) to install kernel 4.12.14 and use it with Bionic Beaver.
And was able to get hdmi audio working through my television speakers.

Recipe:
1. Install kernel 4.12.14, using ukuu-gtk (ukuu with graphical interface)
2. un-blacklist snd-hdmi-lpe-audio from /etc/modprobe.d
3. followed Linuxium's instruction here (http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2017/10/fixing-broken-hdmi-audio.html) , for fixing broken audio.
   a. For me these two worked:
        aplay -D sysdefault:CARD=Audio /usr/local/sounds/Blow.wav
        aplay -D plughw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 /usr/local/sounds/Blow.wav

4. Continuing to follow Linuxium's instructions (from previous step), edited /etc/pulse/default.pa, to set module-alsa-sink to device=sysdefault:CARD=Audio
5. Comment out the lines in /etc/pulse/default.pa that automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available (again, see Linuxium's instructions for the details)
6. Do a 'pulseaudio -k' or reboot, to effect the changes.

The broken hdmi audio is probably due to this bug, which was present in kernel
4.13.1.-1 : https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/55592


I've confirmed that I've got hdmi audio working, wifi working. The one thing that isn't working with this latest setup is bluetooth.

If I get a chance, I'll try to take a look at your recent suggestion getting bluetooth working..
[hr]
Hu,
I just tried your bluetooth installation package at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99O3A0...daWDA/edit , but was unable to get Bluetooth working
with kernel 4.12.14.
Hello Ginobean,

thank you for your sharing.

After you install the Bluetooth package, you can try entering this command:
Sudo systemctl start rtl8723bsbt.service

See if Bluetooth can be turned on.

Best regards,
Hu
 

ginobean

New Member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

No, running 'sudo systemctl start rtl8723bsbt.service' didn't resolve the issue.
 

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

ginobean said:
No, running 'sudo systemctl start rtl8723bsbt.service' didn't resolve the issue.
Hello Ginobean,

Here is the evolution of the kernel:
Firstlt, let's have a look at the basic statistics:
  V4.9 including the eMMC v5.0 driver required for accessing the internal storage;
  V4.11 including the HDMI audio driver;
  V4.12 recognizing the BCM43455 wifi driver but experience a regression with the release of v4.13;
  V4.13.2 / v4.14 including a fix for BCM43455 wifi driver;
  V4.14 including a fix for the headphone audio driver;
  V4.15-rc1 now includes a fix for the bluetooth driver;

Best regards,
Hu
 

ginobean

New Member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

Hu, one thing I noticed with the built-in bluetooth driver, on the Ubuntu Bionic Beaver build, that you provided, was that if I ran hciconfig, my built in bluetooth address was all
'AA's. like:  AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA

This seemed a bit off to me, but I think I was able to use it.

Are you seeing this on your end as well? Try running hciconfig and see if the bluetooth address looks like all 'AA's. If so, this might be an issue, as I think bluetooth devices are supposed to have distinct bluetooth addresses.
 

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

ginobean said:
Hu, one thing I noticed with the built-in bluetooth driver, on the Ubuntu Bionic Beaver build, that you provided, was that if I ran hciconfig, my built in bluetooth address was all
'AA's. like:  AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA

This seemed a bit off to me, but I think I was able to use it.

Are you seeing this on your end as well? Try running hciconfig and see if the bluetooth address looks like all 'AA's. If so, this might be an issue, as I think bluetooth devices are supposed to have distinct bluetooth addresses.
Hello Ginobean,

I will reply to you later.

Best regards,
Hu
 

PrairieJohn

New Member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

Jumping in here -- I have Xubuntu 16.04.3LTS running 4.12.0 kernel on my Kodlix (AZW) Z83-II with the AMPAK AP6255 --
   here's my hciconfig output

hci1:    Type: BR/EDR  Bus: UART
    BD Address: AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA  ACL MTU: 1021:8  SCO MTU: 64:1
    UP RUNNING PSCAN
    RX bytes:927 acl:0 sco:0 events:69 errors:0
    TX bytes:5241 acl:0 sco:0 commands:69 errors:0

hci0:    Type: BR/EDR  Bus: SDIO
    BD Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00  ACL MTU: 0:0  SCO MTU: 0:0
    DOWN
    RX bytes:0 acl:0 sco:0 events:0 errors:0
    TX bytes:0 acl:0 sco:0 commands:0 errors:0


so Yes -- same all AA's address here. 2 instances bothers me more -- both hci0 (SDIO, & DOWN) & hci1 (UART & UP) are the same internal device, no other adapter plugged in. I think this might have been self-inflicted -- even though Bluetooth seemed to be working after Linuxium's Broadcom scripts & copying the nvram.txt to /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt, i noticed dmesg about BCM.hcd firmware load error -2.  Tried to track down & rename a couple Broadcom .hcd files, one after another, to /lib/firmware/brcm/BCM.hcd

They would load, & dmesg firmware error went away, but bluetooth stopped working until I deleted BCM.hcd from /lib/firmware/brcm/ & rebooted.

Anyway, I *think* that's where my "ghost" hci0 on SDIO came from -- didn't think to check before messing with BCM.hcd files

So apparently the dmesg BCM.hcd firmware error can be ignored, because something in the renamed nvram.txt takes care of it ???  I don't know . . . .
 

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

PrairieJohn said:
Jumping in here -- I have Xubuntu 16.04.3LTS running 4.12.0 kernel on my Kodlix (AZW) Z83-II with the AMPAK AP6255 --
   here's my hciconfig output

hci1:    Type: BR/EDR  Bus: UART
    BD Address: AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA  ACL MTU: 1021:8  SCO MTU: 64:1
    UP RUNNING PSCAN
    RX bytes:927 acl:0 sco:0 events:69 errors:0
    TX bytes:5241 acl:0 sco:0 commands:69 errors:0

hci0:    Type: BR/EDR  Bus: SDIO
    BD Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00  ACL MTU: 0:0  SCO MTU: 0:0
    DOWN
    RX bytes:0 acl:0 sco:0 events:0 errors:0
    TX bytes:0 acl:0 sco:0 commands:0 errors:0


so Yes -- same all AA's address here. 2 instances bothers me more -- both hci0 (SDIO, & DOWN) & hci1 (UART & UP) are the same internal device, no other adapter plugged in. I think this might have been self-inflicted -- even though Bluetooth seemed to be working after Linuxium's Broadcom scripts & copying the nvram.txt to /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt, i noticed dmesg about BCM.hcd firmware load error -2.  Tried to track down & rename a couple Broadcom .hcd files, one after another, to /lib/firmware/brcm/BCM.hcd

They would load, & dmesg firmware error went away, but bluetooth stopped working until I deleted BCM.hcd from /lib/firmware/brcm/ & rebooted.

Anyway, I *think* that's where my "ghost" hci0 on SDIO came from -- didn't think to check before messing with BCM.hcd files

So apparently the dmesg BCM.hcd firmware error can be ignored, because something in the renamed nvram.txt takes care of it ???  I don't know . . . .
Yes, I also realized this problem. I will try to solve it. I also hope that Linux can be developed and used by more customers. I hope we can study together, develop together, and use together.

Best regards,
Hu
 

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

hypnos said:
Hi
No work audio on speakers ,headphones yes.
You can look under your audio device and try switching to get the sound. I can't guarantee that the speaker is working.
 

QuinDennis

New Member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

MinisForum said:
ginobean said:
I believe the aforementioned system image is NOT UEFI signed, meaning that you will have to go into your BIOS settings,
select the 'Boot' tab, go to 'Boot Option Priorities', and make sure the first entry is for [ubuntu]. Now, near the bottom of the screen, you'll see 'UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities'. Drill into it and make sure that 'Boot option #1' is set to [ubuntu]. One you've made these two changes, save settings and reboot. You should now be able to load a non-UEFI system image.

Otherwise, you'll see it go into a perpetual loop, where it tries to load the image, but it isn't UEFI signed, so it restarts the system again. You'll see it flashing over and over again.. Very disconcerting to see!

Just something to keep in mind, that you'll most likely need to tweak your BIOS settings as I've fuzzily laid out above.
[hr]
Hu (Administrator),

I happened to install a plain vanilla version of Lubuntu (lubuntu-17.10.1-desktop-amd64.iso), which I also installed on my Z83-II mini-pc.
Interestingly, I was able to get hdmi sound from my television.

I ran these two commands, in order to get an audio device to show up on pavucontrol:
cd /lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/kernel/sound/x86/
sudo insmod snd-hdmi-lpe-audio.ko

Then, these following two commands played on my television speakers: (Blow.wav is a just sample .wav audio file). Just to be sure, 
I played the sounds with my television muted and then unmuted, to make sure that the sounds were indeed coming from my television and not from my auxiliary speakers.

aplay -D plughw:CARD=Audio,DEV=2 /usr/local/sounds/Blow.wav

this works:
aplay -D hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=2 /usr/local/sounds/Blow.wav

So the question is what is different in Lubuntu 17.10.1, which allows me to play, using aplay, to my hdmi television's speakers?
Hello Ginobean,

Thank you for your answer.

Is it easy for you to upload and send your ISO file to the forum? I think I can try to install and test, if it is perfectly compatible, it is a great thing.

Thank you for sharing.

Best regards,
Hu
https://lubuntu.me/lubuntu-artful-atque-vale-released/ has both 32 & 64 bit ISOs.  If these official releases work, Lubuntu would be a great choice.
 

QuinDennis

New Member
RE: Linux System for Z83-W and Z83-F (Bionic-18.04)

MinisForum said:
hypnos said:
Hi
No work audio on speakers ,headphones yes.
You can look under your audio device and try switching to get the sound. I can't guarantee that the speaker is working.
I have Xubuntu 18.04 on a Z83-W, very fast, HDMI video works now, but no sound from headphones jack or HDMI.  Under Volume Control, it says 'Connection to PulseAudio failed.  Automatic retry in 5s',  but still no sound.  Any ideas?
 
Top Bottom