< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

Issue with built in Intel I225-V Ethernet

saeonate

After much driver swapping and tweaking of settings, the only way I can get this thing to work is if I explicitly set Speed & Duplex to 100Mbps. Auto negotiation or any setting higher (1Gbps or 2.5Gbps) result in a "cable disconnected" problem.

It seems that this is/was an issue with an Asus motherboards that also used this chip (just google/duckduckgo 'asus i225 problem'. Asus' instructions don't work for HX90 however.

A few things this is definitely not:
- a cable problem
- a driver problem
- a configuration problem

Can the minisforum crew suggest a way to fix this extremely inconvenient problem?

At the moment my solution will be a USB network adapter, but that is far from ideal.

Pitek

In my environment (Intel NIC driver ver.1.0.2.13):
- HX90 connected to a small five-port 1Gbps switch (Asus): "cable disconnected"
- HX90 connected to the 1Gbps LAN port on my old Dell Latitude laptop: OK, 1Gbps
- HX90 connected to the 1Gbps LAN port on my WiFi6 router (Asus): OK, 1Gbps

saeonate

Hmm, were you able to apply the asus sourced firmware? Interesting scenario, seems the Intel NIC is very picky about what connected to?

adrian

Do you use the latest drivers from here : https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/184676/intel-ethernet-controller-i225v.html ?
I did not install the drivers provided by MINIS went directly here. I see that there is also possibility to update the firmware (did not do it as it works for me). The controller was not found by Windows had to install intel drivers.

I installed my own copy of Windows from MS, provide my own key. The only drivers you need is this, and AMD video and chipset directly from AMD. Everything else is found by Windows (WIFI, BT, Audio). Do not install the drivers provided they are not the latest and some are for a few different models with different hardware, there is no Realtek in this PC. Audio/microphone is found by Windows as an "USB device"(and it works) , installing Realtek did not change anything for me.

Pitek

I installed the latest driver v.1.0.2.13 (Intel Network Adapter drivers release 26.4 for Windows 10) from Intel website as soon as I noticed the network adapter was missing after a clean install of Win10Pro. I did not use firmware (update NVM to version 1.45) from Asus.
I also manually reinstalled the latest Intel drivers for the WiFi+BT AX200 card. From the AMD website latest "Chipset Software Installer" and "Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.8.2 WHQL".

Macinoid

I installed the latest driver v.1.0.2.13 (Intel Network Adapter drivers release 26.4 for Windows 10) from Intel website as soon as I noticed the network adapter was missing after a clean install of Win10Pro. I did not use firmware (update NVM to version 1.45) from Asus.
I also manually reinstalled the latest Intel drivers for the WiFi+BT AX200 card. From the AMD website latest "Chipset Software Installer" and "Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.8.2 WHQL".
I recommend this Driver "Intel Network Adapter drivers release 26.4 for Windows 10" ALSO, After 3 clean installs and testing auto installed by Windows 10 was a no go, second install using the driver from the MinisForum Driver Pack a no go also, then my 3rd clean install using Intels latest driver Bam! Batman! it worked perfectly!

saeonate

I used my own windows install and key and all drivers (from AMD and Intel direct.) The NIC is still giving me troubles, and it is very frustrating. Maybe I need to do what Macinoid did and reinstall windows three times...; guess I at least need to try it!

Macinoid

I used my own windows install and key and all drivers (from AMD and Intel direct.) The NIC is still giving me troubles, and it is very frustrating. Maybe I need to do what Macinoid did and reinstall windows three times...; guess I at least need to try it!
Only 1 install is needed from a barebones...!

use this driver https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/ethernet/gigabit-controllers/i225-controllers/downloads.html v26.4 after windows install, run your windows updates and you're all done.

I only did it 3x to figure out the best method of install, just clean install windows, then install the intel driver 26.4 (above link) then run windows updates but after you have installed the intel driver.

I do a lot of installs to learn on my own so I can keep up with my husband.

saeonate

To be clear, did you have similar issues to what I originally described? I have the suggested driver currently installed with no change in behavior (it's still not recognizing a link >100Mbps)

Macinoid

To be clear, did you have similar issues to what I originally described? I have the suggested driver currently installed with no change in behavior (it's still not recognizing a link >100Mbps)
i connect at 1gb with my current switch, only doing a clean install then installing the intel driver and then doing windows updates. i dont have a 2.5g switch to know if it'll go above 1gb. And to respond to your original. unless you use a USB-C ethernet it wont get even close to 1gb. I'm currently having no issues connecting at 1gb lights green 1gb not orange 100mb and my throughput is over 118mb a sec computer to computer both ways, internet speed tests hit 986mb (i have 1gb internet). all i can say is for me to get it to work was as i said clean windows, then the intel driver BEFORE updates and its working great for me. but my first install and second i couldn't get it to connect or like you only 100mb. my 3rd attempt is when it worked for me.

new clean machine i install over and over before i'm happy. my h31g i did 20+ installs playing with UEFI and rebuild, change itr rebuild, and repaet until i found the config i liked in UEFI and done. the HX90 was easier only change a couple thing like enable secure boot and tpm2 for windows 11 preview i installed. WAIT that could be a difference I finally went with windows 11 preview install, installed intel drivers then updates for got that point. I has issues in win10 forgot that, why my 3rd i did win 11 and then everything worked. i'd have to try my 3rd way using win10, driver, then updates and see. i totally forgot my 3rd i so said f-it ill do 11 straight since it what im planning on using. sorry i totally forgot that point and it was a major point.

EDIT UPDATE: i was just told, if you cant like my husband direct download win11 iso (his dev acct why he can) then try install win 10 21h2 ISO (using MS media creator) that uses the same ark as win11 21h2.

TrueMan

Ok so i also have a
Intel I225-V Ethernet
problem :(

I so the problem during UP/DL. With DL network works with full speed 1Gbit (100-105MB/s).
DL is most half of it with fluctuating (sometimes even drops to 0) and looks like this

drivers are actual (but INTEL doesnt see this network card thru automatic update)

What i did
  • Checked the cables
  • reinstall drivers
  • try with external USB 3.0 1Gbit Adapter (it works faster!!!!)
  • Firmware update showing me only "error" like the post above
So my question is - what is a standard way to remove - clean - and install this eth again in the system?
Is there any "sugested setup" or "driver"?

Win11 Pro

why it is so complicated :(

thanks for the feedback...

joey

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to reinstall the intel I225-V driver, please uninstall the driver first, then restart, and then install the driver.
Regarding the problem you describe, I suggest you try another SATA cable.

TrueMan

If you want to reinstall the intel I225-V driver, please uninstall the driver first, then restart, and then install the driver.
Which driver excatly should i instal?

after reboot WIN11 installs driver itself.

SATA cable? You mean eth? I have NVME disk inside so there is no SATA cable.

Daneel

SATA Cable? We're talking about an ethernet controller .... i225-V is the 2.5Gb ethernet controller that is driving people up the wall ...
Would be nice to know what firmware is installed ... in the ethernet controller (NIC)

joey

Administrator
Staff member
If your storage disk is installed in the 2.5inch SATA port, and the download value is 0, then you need to check the 2.5inch SATA cable.
If your storage disk is installed in the M.2 2280 PCIe port, and the download value is 0, it may be a network problem or a network card driver.
intel i225-V driver:

Daneel

The i225-v works like a charm (for me) now in Windows10. Only, I'm trying to get it to run OpnSense/PfSense. PfSense is a no go because it uses FreeBSD 12.x and the i225 is only from FreeBSD 13 and up. So Im stuck with OpnSense... Installed it and OpnSense sees the NIC's but they wont start. So, back to Win10 and checked the firmware. I intended to upgrade it to 1.45 but ... to my surprise the version shows 1.79!!! Thats weird. The 1.79 is used for i225-it (in some cases) and not for i225-v.
What happened?

Now Im stuck running W10 with VirtualBox and OpnSense. It works, but I loose a lot of performance. W10 speedtest 920 mbit/s ... Thru Virtualbox "only" 200 mbit/s.

For Minisforum it might be interesting to get this combo working. There is a large (and ever growing) community using Opensen/PfSense and if it works on a TL50 with its powerful hardware, it might be a great selling point. (hint)

Too bad. Other i225-V's and i225-LM actually do work 'out of the box' with OpnSense but my Minisforum TL50 doesnt. They are seen but:
igc0: <Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V> mem ....
igc0: Setup of shared code failed, error -2
igc0: IFDI_ATTACH_PRE failed 6

Last edited:

pie1394

Just upgrade my WiFi router to TP-Link Archer AX90 and connect HX90 Ethernet NIC to the 2.5G port. The 2.5G link speed works fine under Win10.

Actually I have removed the AX200 NIC from HX90 and put it in my Dell XPS13-9350 (Core i5-6200U 2015 model). Under Windows10, the file sharing can reach around 100 ~ 108 MB/s at maximum during large file copy. I don't have any other 2.5G switch or device yet. So it needs a very power WiFi6 NIC to see if can go above 1Gbps throughput.

HX90_I225V.png

Top Bottom