< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

How to use FAN controls in BIOS to reduce fan noise

MiniManiac

Something interesting I just found. This AMD Ryzen 5 3550H allegedly can candle temps at the extreme of 105 C.

This explains why, in Factory Default Fan mode, a FULL SCAN in Windows Security pushes into 92 C. That's considered extremely hot for many CPUs but (apparently) not this one.

source https://www.techcenturion.com/optimal-temperature-of-cpu-and-gpu

I think what's happened here is that MinisF has introduced the DMAF5 as a 'beast' for gaming. They have overclocked voltage and such to deliver power and added a big fan to keep things from exploding. The catch is --

-- this is a race car Mini PC that is tuned way too high for users who simply want to drive to the supermarket. A race car will get you to and from the market, sure, but it's engine will make a lot of noise doing it.

The solution is offering a native QUIET mode and PERFORMANCE mode. We only have performance. :(

Attachments

Gianni

Si, hai trovato qualcosa di interessante, almeno per me; mi si apre un mondo nuovo che mi porta a pensare come eseguire le varie macchine.

ottimo il paragone della auto da corsa.

quindi il fine è quello di ottimizzare le impostazioni in funzione dell'utilizzo personale del DMAF5, e questo modo di ragionare è ottimo.

ti ringrazio per le informazioni che hai postato e che consente di comprendere la macchina che abbiamo acquistato.

Sarebbe bello che in fase di progettazione fosse compilata una scheda di impostazione per settare al meglio i parametri BIOS.

MiniManiac un grazie per tutte le informazioni che hai postato.

Gianni

Batdad

@MiniManiac. I expect heat to increase and therefore fan speed/noise to increase in gradation as the performance load increases. this thing ramps up to "11" as soon as ANY task is performed. Its awful. I have 2 Intel Nuc 8 (Hades Canyon) for the kids that run MUCH MUCH more quietly than this in similar if not smaller form factor.

I actually purchased this for games emulation since I spotted a nice cpu and gpu combo at a much lower price than a Hades Canyon. I had no clue that the fan noise would make its use unbearable. I'd like to sell it but I'd feel guilty passing it on to any other unsuspecting victim so I'll continue to try and see what messing with the fan settings can do to help. I can only put the noise down to poor engineering. Won't be buying anything again from minisforum again that's for sure. I also have a PepperJobs GLK-UC2X mini-pc which runs almost silently but doesn't quite have the ponies for some more demanding system emulation so I thought this mini pc would be a big step forward. Big mistake...

Cruiserpaule

Hi guys i saw this thread. I am also interested in buying the DMAF5.
The loud cooler problem was also pointed out in some other forums.
Now I have approached a reseller about the problem before I buy this mini-PC.

He informed me of the following: "If you have problems with the fan sound, download the file from the link below"
Run the "FlashWin.bat" file after decompression.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aoriURNkmYtzrBktfJWBo_gyZdGNAtzI/view

1. DMAF5BIOS.rar to download
2. decompress the file
3. run FLASHWIN.bat

I don't have this mini pc yet. It is probably a BIOS update. Could you take a look?
Does this make the noises quieter?
Thank you - wait for your answer.

Last edited:

MiniManiac

He informed me of the following: "If you have problems with the fan sound, download the file from the link below" Run the "FlashWin.bat" file after decompression.
Reseller. Hmm. That's a tad disconcerting. Could you share more specifics about who shared this info with you? Is a thread posted somewhere?

I'd rather Minisforum approve of this before I brick my Mini. I've started a thread HERE --

Last edited:

MiniManiac

this thing ramps up to "11" as soon as ANY task is performed
You know what's interesting? MF itself presents this reality as something awesome in their own marketing of this product. I can't find the image where they explain that tricked a lot more voltage into this CPU to get WOW performance.

A helpful YouTube person suggested there might be a way to tone that back down. He said, "There are TDP BIOS options. Choose a lower one, like 15W or 25W and maybe the unit becomes quieter?" I told him I couldn't find those. He replied, "Well the other option is playing around with the power profiles. Choose the energy saving profile and you can also set a few options for the CPU."

I still have two weeks before I might return this. I'm hoping MINISFORUM will see my efforts to keep this and encourage others to do so as well if a FIX emerges. It's otherwise a great little solution. At the moment I have a negative comment at Amazon warning other people. I'd gladly erase it.

Cruiserpaule

Reseller. Hmm. That's a tad disconcerting. Could you share more specifics about who shared this info with you? Is a thread posted somewhere?
I contacted a seller (celtics, ezpc-uk) at amazon. There is no thread. I wrote to him by personal note and he replied to me as well. Unfortunately, Amazon encrypts the email addresses so that I cannot contact them directly. I think they all just want to sell.

Sherlock2000

Hi all,

I have been keeping an eye on this thread, as i too have been frustated by the fan noise and the constant spiking up whenever the cpu does anything.

I made some changes in the BIOS to fan settings as suggested in this thread, which as you know help but is still an issue.

I decided to download and take a look at the BIOS Cruiserpaule linked, after investigating as much as I could (with my limited skills), I decided to install, it didn't brick my device ( which was a bonus), so I thought I would share my findings with you guys that have put the work in.

The new BIOS seems to have been created a month after the one Minisforum currently use.

I have been running this for a couple of days nows, run some benchmarks, what I have found so far is:

TDP now seems to be set to 25W.
BIOS fan default settings have changed slightly (similar to ones suggested), I have not changed these at all.
When running single core benchmark cpu speed maxes at 3.4Ghz and temps max 61C.
Multi-core benchmark cpu max speed 2.8Ghz and temps max at 64C.
CPU idles around 31C (although it is quite cold here atm).

So basically, Voltage has been reduced, cpu performance lowered, therefore temps are lower, which makes sense. Fan stays extremely quiet, no whooshing noise and very pleasent.
I do not intend to game on this PC and do not run intensive programs, so the loss of cpu power/speed is acceptable to me and much more preferable over fan noise.

I did contact Minisforum admin to see if I could get the original BIOS incase I wanted to revert, unsurprisingly they didn't seem keen and possibly a not that happy that I had installed a different BIOS. So it looks like it is a one-way BIOS update with no chance of reverting back.

**********************Just to be clear, I installed this BIOS at my own risk, I am not suggesting anyone else installs it as there is a possibility of damaging your machine. I am purely posting my findings*************

Hope this helps.

Sherlock2000

Thank you for your experience report. Pls can you attached a screenshoot of fan settings where you are happy with. Thks.

No Problem, these are the default fan settings in the new BIOS, I haven't changed them as the PC runs extremely quiet.
As the new BIOS changes TDP to 25W I doubt heat will be an issue, when i've tried stressing all cores at 100% it hasn't reached 70C.

MiniManiac

Sure, all I did was extract the downloaded BIOS files to a Folder on my Desktop, then Executed the 'FlashWin' Windows Batch File from there. The Batch File ran on the desktop, took around 1 minute, then automatically rebooted.
You're kidding me. That's it?!? Wow. Yesterday I was so frustrated asking for help from Minisforum I ordered a new PC off Amazon. (Asus Expertcenter.)

So the steps are --

1. Download the BIOS.rar
2. Decompress and put folder on desktop
3. Inside that folder right click FLASHWIN.exe and select OPEN.
4. Allow program a minute or so to run and then it will automatically reboot.

(I added extra details above to confirm exactly what you said.)

Last edited:

Sherlock2000

You're kidding me. That's it?!? Wow. Yesterday I was so frustrated asking for help from Minisforum I ordered a new PC off Amazon. (Asus Expertcenter.)

So the steps are --

1. Download the BIOS.rar
2. Decompress and put folder on desktop
3. Right click FLASHWIN and run from within that folder on the desktop?
4. It will reboot and all set from there?

(I added extra details above to confirm exactly what you said.)
Correct, those were the steps I took.

Minisforum seem reluctant for any BIOS update, they don't seem to want to acknowledge that there is an alternative BIOS.
Whether they think it's unreliable (I've had no issues so far) or they are concerned people who don't really know what they are doing will cause issues, I'm not sure.

MiniManiac

Thanks for reply.

Minisforum seem reluctant for any BIOS update, they don't seem to want to acknowledge that there is an alternative BIOS.
I can't even tell if they wrote this BIOS or someone created their own BIOS to fix it. I'd understand grave concern if it was the latter. But since Joey confirmed it was the former I'm surprised it isn't listed on the support page as a Beta Bios for people who want to minimize fan noise at the cost of some benchmark process.

Also the upgrade process couldn't be easier. I was afraid it involved Rufus'ing a thumb drive, booting to thumb, and navigating the Bios to the thumb. Which is COMPLICATED for most users.

I unfortunately have to return this Mini anyway because of the weak antenna. I accidentally discovered it was getting half the reception it's predecessor received. 50 megabit instead of over a 100. At first I kinda didn't care until I noticed 1080p YouTube was dropping frames. (I brought my Celeron'd Beelink GK55 Mini upstairs to see if it had the same issue and somehow the same sized unit with no external antenna got the 100 reception.)

Since there's no provided exterior antenna (or jack for one) I purchased a USB powered one. But just as I got that I decided the likely initiate a return.

Gianni

Ciao a tutti;

Da quando mi è arrivato il DMAF5 sono collegato con il cavo di rete per connessione più stabile in quanto l'utilizzo è per suonare musica in rete con il programma Jamulus.

Quindi non ho prestato la giusta attenzione al collegamento Wi-Fi, ma farò un controllo se è tutto a posto.

Ho provato a inviare file con Bluetooth e tutto funziona bene e velocemente.

MiniManiac

Correct, those were the steps I took.
The steps that worked for me were --

1. Download the BIOS.rar
2. Decompress and put folder on desktop (I had to install BreeZip from Windows Store)
3. Inside that folder right click FLASHWIN.exe and select OPEN.
4. Program activates, allow program a minutes to run and then it will automatically reboot.

So INCREDIBLY strange this fix has existed since October. It's mid-January.

I ran a Windows Security FULL SCAN. This request can get loud and nasty FAST, and on this unit, easily push the temp into the 80s and 90s. With this bios fix there was a wall around 60. The fan was steady and, although obvious audible, not annoying. For kicks I added an SFC at the same time. At the bottom of the picture you can see the temp is 52. Add in a hot summer room and I bet this wouldn't get over 75.

Last edited:
Top Bottom