< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

how to boot linux iso from external drive

KenJ

BIOS for GK45 does not show any options for booting to external drive. I have tried F7 but the only option there is to go to bios setup - no choices for external (CDROM, SHXD card, etc.) It seems the BIOS is missing these options (?) is there a BIOS update available?

Wen

minisforum developer
Staff member
We are rewriting the new BIOS according to your requirements, and if done, an email will be sent to you, thank you!

KenJ

Thank you!
FYI - I tried a new USB3 DVD drive today but it is not recognized as a boot device either
Also tried a USB "thumb drive" which I made "bootable". This was recognized as a bootable device by F7. But the system froze when I actually tried to boot from it.

Appreciate your work on fixing this.

youngran

I have the exact same issues just reported by KenJ; USB3 DVD/CD drive and USB3 thumb drive, both with bootable media. Neither recognized or, if recognized, refuse to boot.
Can you please port these BIOS modifications to the i3-5005U mini PC ??

Wen

minisforum developer
Staff member
Thank you!
FYI - I tried a new USB3 DVD drive today but it is not recognized as a boot device either
Also tried a USB "thumb drive" which I made "bootable". This was recognized as a bootable device by F7. But the system froze when I actually tried to boot from it.

Appreciate your work on fixing this.
If using a USB DVD, additional power is required. In addition, it is recommended that you use a USB stick to make UEFI boot mode.

KenJ

as mentioned in the last two posts, USB stick is recognized, but refuses to boot.

FYI: I used the program "rufus" to format the USB stick as NTFS (FAT32 not detected by kodlix)

Wen

minisforum developer
Staff member
as mentioned in the last two posts, USB stick is recognized, but refuses to boot.

FYI: I used the program "rufus" to format the USB stick as NTFS (FAT32 not detected by kodlix)
I recorded the steps to install Linux ubuntu from a USB stick (the image is a bit fuzzy)

KenJ

OK - by telling BIOS to go back to factory "optimized" settings and following the steps in your video, I am able to install Debian 9 or 10 from a USB stick. This is the OS I want.

I think the problem I have is that the specific ISO I want to use is an older one, not compatible with UEFI boot - it needs a "legacy BIOS" mode of booting. If there is no "legacy mode" of booting, then I will need to figure out how to compile my application from source code.

Anyway, thanks for the video.

Ken

JSW2

We are rewriting the new BIOS according to your requirements, and if done, an email will be sent to you, thank you!
Is there any estimate for the availability on this? My Windows install won't boot and I'm having difficulty booting from USB drive to repair/reinstall.

boker

Administrator
Staff member
This issue was resolved during the email exchange with Ben,
Thank you Ben.
The key step is: Advanced-> "OPTION ROM MESSAGES"-> Keep Current,
Of course, the other UEFI options are best changed to Legacy. After setting, remember to save and exit.
Please see the picture for specific settings.
Advanced- OPTION ROM MESSAGES- Keep Current.png

Wanbli

I just bought a Kodlix GK45 PC, but I can't get it to recognize the WD Blue 500gb M.2 2280 SSD. I've installed it per the video, but it doesn't show up in "Disk Management". I also don't see it in Bios, although, to be honest, I don't know where to look or what would need to be changed to have it show up in Disk Management. Please Help!
It also won't recognize any 2.5" SSD.

Top Bottom