< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

HM90 spontaneous stops displaying

whocarez

Hello,

Since yesterday my HM90 spontaneous stops working, don't show any BSOD (with Windows 11), computer stays on but display stop receiving signal (dual montitor with DP and HDMI).

Computer temperature is around 60º , low CPU usage.

Any idea what might be?

Thanks

joey

Administrator
Staff member
Please try the following methods to restore
1. Please unplug all external devices and power, and use a paper clip to long press the reset hole for 30 seconds to clear the CMOS recovery.
2. Check whether the memory is faulty or re-plug the memory or troubleshoot the fault one by one.

sson

This occurred to me twice already. All happened without any warnings or indications. All video outputs suddenly stopped, and computer wouldn't respond to any input signals, not even pressing the power button. I had to unplug the power adapter to turn off the computer and then restart. There’s nothing logged in windows event logs other than the obvious “unexpected shutdown” or “The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first” errors. I haven't noticed any particular patterns leading to this crash, since it didn't happen frequently. I'll try the steps joey mentioned, but I'm fairly confident that the RAMs are good, as I just got them new 3 months ago and have done extensive test on them with MemTest86 then without any problems. I'm wondering if this is a more general systemic issue, since it happened in at least 2 computers. I'm also curious if any HM90 running Linux experienced this.

alexsanmarquez

Hi, the same is happening to me since I bought mine 2 weeks ago. 3 times happened without any pattern, one time ocurred during my work hours so it was under moderate us, the other two it happened with the computer with low usage (only one gaming server instance on the background) while I was away. Every time the device was under safe temperatures and normal voltages and everything.
In between every ocurrence the BIOS was configured with different power settings for the APU and at least once it happened after resetting default CMOS values within the BIOS (I understand this equals to using the paperclip on the hole to reset it).

Has anyone find anything else about this? I might return mi unit next week If I do not find a plausible cause, because it could be caused by a power supply issue and I do not want problems with it in the future.

P.D: my RAM was just tested extensively with Memtest86+ and I have conducted many stability and performance tests last days without issues.

alexsanmarquez

It happened yesterday and one hour ago, again.
I am returning mine. It is a pity, cause my two attempts of getting one mini pc from your brand have failed for different issues.
Might not try one third time.

Best.

sson

@alexsanmarquez I’m curious why you think this could be a power supply problem? Does that mean the default power adapter (19v 6.3A) is not big enough so HM90 automatically adjusts the CMOS thus causing the crash? I haven’t paid attention to CMOS but will start checking it from now on. If it’s power supply rather than motherboard then it could be fixed with a bigger adapter, right?

joey

Administrator
Staff member
@alexsanmarquez I’m curious why you think this could be a power supply problem? Does that mean the default power adapter (19v 6.3A) is not big enough so HM90 automatically adjusts the CMOS thus causing the crash? I haven’t paid attention to CMOS but will start checking it from now on. If it’s power supply rather than motherboard then it could be fixed with a bigger adapter, right?
Sorry for the late reply.
Due to system and kernel driver compatibility issues, I was unable to check out any issues with the HM90. I need more test situation in windows, maybe you can provide me some test situation data under windows system. Once it is confirmed that it is the hardware problem of HM90, I will assist you to apply for after-sales service, thank you for your understanding.

Selyria

So I also wanted to get in touch

I have my HM 90 now for about 3 weeks.
In the 3 weeks, the HM 90 has crashed 3 times and did not start up again only after pulling the power plug and switch on again, he resumed operation.

I have the HM 90 in 24/7 operation as a small server running.

I have tested the Ram and exchanged it despite no errors. There are 32Gb installed 2x16GB 2400
Drivers have all been downloaded from the minisforum and installed
Windows 11 is installed
I will test Windows 10 when I am back home. But this is only the case in 2 weeks

nobu

A similar event is occurring on my HM90.
However, the Windows Event Viewer is not logged, so the cause is unknown.

I feel that it often happens after a ZOOM meeting or when watching a video site.
Changing the AMD graphics driver didn't help.
Also, I changed to HDMI because I thought it was related to DP connection, but the same phenomenon occurred.

For now, the only option is to press and hold the power button on the HM90 to exit.

I would like to use other products from MINISFORUM, but I hesitate if I don't understand the cause.
Unless there is a replacement, HM90 is used for home work,
so it is not possible at present to take time and effort such as reinstalling Windows.

Selyria

I have now arrived home and wanted to take care of the HM90 unfortunately only the fan is still running otherwise nothing happens.

joey

Administrator
Staff member
I have now arrived home and wanted to take care of the HM90 unfortunately only the fan is still running otherwise nothing happens.
Please clear CMOS to try recovery, or check memory.
Please unplug all external devices (including monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.) and power supply, and use a paper clip to press and hold the reset hole for 30 seconds to clear the CMOS recovery.

Selyria

Memory tested

Installed 2, only took 1 out still didn't work. Then removed the other and reinstalled the first. Did not help nor anything

Cmos reset unfortunately no success

joey

Administrator
Staff member
Please use the metest86 tool to check whether the memory is wrong. If an error is reported, please replace the memory to use. If there is no error reported, or the same phenomenon, please contact your sales to apply for a replacement, thank you for your understanding.

EfeArda

Hi everyone. Exactly the same problem here. I tried changing the ram 3 times (First set was 64 GB then I tried 32 GB sticks from another laptop, then I tried a brand new 32 GB set.
The problem is not the memory. After contacting sales, they say they will take the unit back but the postage is not covered by them. So I need to pay 100 dolars to return aan unworking unit that normaly costs 450 dolars to purchase? This is non sense...

Until we find a solution to this problem, my recommendation to everyone is to get a smart switch. The only way to restart HM90 once its stuck is to take off the power supply and replug it. If you are trying to use HM90 as a home server and it gets stuck while youre away, atleast you can remotely restart by powercycling the smart switch.

Last edited:

sson

Posting an update from my side:

Yesterday this happened on my machine again, 2 times consecutively, this makes it 4 times total in the 5 months since I got HM90. I may noticed some causes. First this is my setup: The HM90 is running Windows 11, connected to 2 displays through HDMI and USB-C. I was doing data transfer from one USB drive (SSD) to another (HDD) using the 2 front USB-A ports. The crashes happened during the middle of the copying. And in one of the crashes I was also using Zoom video call. I’m suspecting the USB ports may be one cause for the crash (but not the only one), perhaps as @alexsanmarquez posted above about the power issue. In another thread I and others also posted problems with the 4 back USB ports, maybe they are related? The crash doesn’t seem to be deterministic, since I’ve done similar data transfer on USB drives before without problem. Another cause maybe be video, because one crash happened during a Zoom call, and one of the other previous crashes happened in the middle of Amazon video streaming, which is also something others have experienced, as @nobu posted above. Again, these aren’t deterministic causes, as I do Zoom and video streaming frequently without problem.

I've double checked RAM (64GB) with both MemTest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic and passed without problem, same as others posted. As I suspected, this issue is likely in the hardware or the driver. From the looks of it this is not one or two isolated incidents, and many others have also experienced the same problem. So I increasingly come to believe this is a more general systemic design flaw inherent in the entire HM90 model line, in which case, exchange for replacement is not going to fix the problem. This is a situation that would result in a product recall in other companies.

I think this is an urgent issue needing fix, so please do more thorough testing and provide a solution. I like Minisforum so far, I think your company provides great value in your product for very reasonable price. But reliability is not something I can compromise, especially since I’m depending on the machine for my work.

Last edited:

Carbon fib'er

It would be revealing if someone could install Linux and see if the problem still exists. If someone couldn't use the box with this instability, then what the heck? Install Linux and see what happens. If it didn't happen with Linux, then there could be reason to hope that Windows will work someday (maybe a device driver?). If it were me, I would replace the ssd (keep the original so it could be installed and boot windows again).

It seems like Minusforum would want one of these back (at their expense) so they could investigate what is happening. The way they don't suggests they already know, and are sticking it to the customers. My impression is that Minusforum has too many models (overlapping capability) to support professionally.

EfeArda

I have installed Zabbix agent to catch logs windows event viewer cannot. Unfortunately there is no leading information here either. The problem seems CPU or BIOS related

Top Bottom