< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

GK41 fan too loud?

zhshr

Just got my GK41 unit and immediately noticed the fan noise. I mounted the unit behind my monitor and it keeps whining even the system is idle and the cpu is only at ~40℃. Is there any solution to slowdown or stop the fan from spinning in such low temperature?

zhshr

Or can you provide the specs of the fan so I can try to find some silent compatible fan and substitute it by myself?

joey

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @zhshr . Sorry, the fan speed of this model is fixed and customized and cannot be replaced. You can put the pc in a well-ventilated environment

zhshr

Hi @zhshr . Sorry, the fan speed of this model is fixed and customized and cannot be replaced. You can put the pc in a well-ventilated environment
Will it slow down or stop under lower temperature? It keeps the same speed all the time, regardless of temp or load.

mjb

Just wanted to add my experience to this thread.

My first GK41 ran quietly for 2 months in a clean, cool, well-ventilated area, with almost no load, just occasional web browsing. But then the fan started getting loud. It happened all the time, and it sounded like it was struggling, with kind of a groaning and grinding sound that changed at random. You could hear it throughout my house. If I lifted the front of the unit slightly, the sound would change a lot and get much worse. Clearly it was just a fan that was getting ready to die. Not a normal sound.

In a desktop PC, the fan might be something that users could replace, but the design of the GK41 does not support such repair. So I emailed support to ask about an exchange under warranty. At first, they didn't seem sympathetic, and they gave me a rather strange first offer, which I declined.

Next, I sent a video of the fan's shenanigans, and then they agreed to do a full exchange. They issued a FedEx RMA label so I could return the mini PC and get a warranty replacement in kind. They sent a new identical model to me very quickly. So far, after one month, it is running just fine. The fan is not completely silent, but it's not groaning or doing anything weird like the other one. Fingers crossed that it will continue for the entire warranty period and beyond.

I hope they work out the issue with their fan supplier. Maybe there's a bad batch, or just a defect rate that is higher than expected. Other than this one issue, the GK41 is a great little computer.

Last edited:

joey

Administrator
Staff member
@mjb If it is a normal fan sound, we do not support replacement. Unless you can give us more details to show that this is really a problem, I hope you can understand us.

schewww

The fan is indeed loud, too loud. Test report says its 30db (measured from 1m away? it doesnt say) which means that however you look at it (broken or flawless fan), its loud.

To have the smallest machine in my livingroom be the loudest was unacceptable so I took it apart. I jerryrigged (reused the mounting) an old Intel P4 aluminum heatsink without a fan (about 83x~60x35mm) on it. Temps now hoover in the 40~45C at idle and at load they climb to max 60C. I have not tested with a fan blowing on the heatsink, as there is no need. I might cnc machine a new mounting plate for the heatsink just to see if the temps improve and because the current solution is jank af (no pics, sorry). :D

Idle temps of the original fan assembly were in the ~35C range which in my opinion shows the missed opportunity of the designers to not use a pwm fan as there is no need for the fan to constantly be screaming at 30db when the cpu is at 35C. The fan experience takes away from an otherwise excellent little machine.

The fan in my unit was a:

Broad fan
Red(+)
Model BF05008L05
DC5V 0.10A
Shenzen Broadway Technology Co. LTD

is uses a mini 4pin connector.

Last edited:
Top Bottom