< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

Fan control

Legion

There have been few posts regarding fan control so I thought I'd post my set up.

Its a work in progress so you should experiment and see what work for you.

First up, download Argus Monitor. Its free for the first 30 days and has nice graphing capability that will let you see what's actually happening. After 30days you can still use the graphing.

I use my computer as a desktop eg mail, internet, excel, youtube and various apps. If your going to use your machine for games just realize that complex games will max out the performance of any cpu and this makes the fan run.

You mentioned the 10w profile so I'm giving it a go. 15w is pretty similar so use that if you want. At 25w your going to be running hotter on average. At 35w the machine boots into windows and the temps go through the roof and the machine powers off. 25w is the max you can use.

The fans maximum speed is 4000rpm. At 1000rpm its basically silent - 1000/4000=25%.

In BIOS I set the low temp to 90c so anything below 90c will run the fan at 25% or 1000rpm. You will see the temps jump up and down under 90c and the fan will run a constant 1000rpm.

When you start giving the machine a workout I step the temps up in 5c increments so that the High temp is 100c and the fan is running at 100% or 4000 rpm. In my application the fan runs between 1000 - 1200rpm.

I was doing a little research last night and came across a regedit mod that unlocks an extra option in power settings. Basically you can run efficient, balanced and performance power strategies. I'm using efficient. Turning Off Turbo Boost AMD Ryzen 7 4800H – “Heat up the game… Not your processor”… – ~~~ A Blog's Life ~~~ (wordpress.com)

1. Open Registry Editor
2. Copy and Paste this address: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\be337238-0d82-4146-a960-4f3749d470c7
3. Click "Attributes"
4. Change value data = "2" (the default value will be "1")
5. Open your Windows Power Option setting
6. Change plan setting
7. Change advanced power setting
8. And you'll see a new setting parameter on Processor Power Management option
9. Processor Performance Boost Mode will be "aggressive" as default setting... You can change it to 'disabled' or 'efficient aggressive' or 'efficient enabled

The result is what you see in the attached Argus_Temps attachment.

So that's my quiet desktop config.

let me know if you find any other tweeks.

Andrew

Attachments
Report Edit Delete

woodySkyBlue

Excellent.
I changed mode 'efficient aggressive'.
For small tasks like opening a browser or playing YouTube, the fan noise is completely unnoticeable.
The fan speed is stable at about 950 rpm.
HWMonitor.png

Top Bottom