< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

Can't update to BIOS .15

JC26

As the subject states, I am unable to update to .015. When I attempt to do so, I get an error that the updater can't open the file/device needed. I was able to update to .014 successfully, so I'm not sure what changed.

Any ideas?

JC26

Just an update on this... in an effort to fix the issue, I disabled TPM in the BIOS. At this point, the system won't boot at all, and won't even go to the BIOS screen. I just have fans running at full speed.

I've even tried resetting the BIOS using the pin hole. No luck.

joey

Administrator
Staff member
In the event of a power failure, use a paperclip to press and hold the reset hole for 30 seconds to recover.

joey

Administrator
Staff member
The 015 version of the bios is mainly for the support of the next generation CPU (5000G APU).

joey

Administrator
Staff member
If it still cannot be turned on, I suggest you disassemble the machine and disconnect the rtc battery to try to recover.

Lyle Kroll

When I updated to v15, my system, after initially booting and for whatever reason WIn10 required me to reset pin at first boot, it would not post upon re-booting. I saw another thread where someone mentioned remove the battery and then re-insert it and low and behold all appeared to be well. What I found out next is if I do any change in the Bios (like enable bios password for instance), the PC, upon re-powering, would not post and the only solution was to remove battery and re-insert it which resets the bios. The reset button does not work. Also, I did pull the WiFI cables (someone warned this would happen) as well as bluetooth. I will likely never use either so it's not of concern to me. Very reluctant to go to 16. My only issue now is my Displayport connection often loses communication with the PC; can sometimes get it to work by pulling cable out of PC socket and re-inserting, but it more than not doesn't work at all, so I have to plug in the HDMI connector to get video. I have a 4K monitor (has connections for HDMI as well as displayport) and HDMI, at least with the provided cable from Minisforum, has all kinds of issues like occasional flicker or display blankout and then back up. Displayport, at least with v14 of bios, was great. Upgraded to v14 to get 2Gs of video ram (older bios only supported 512M). Now I'm at a conundrum because of the issues with Displayport with my monitor. Oh well. Just wish the bios update process was as simple as upgrading to v14 was. v15 wasn't hard to update by the way; just having issues. v16, now, looks very complicated based on reading the documentation for it and I don't want to risk bricking my x400. Just wish I could go back to v14 since that was the most stable version for my x400. Just spieling.

dhkl

@Lyle Kroll I went through the same journey and have been actively warning people about the WiFi module when doing a CMOS battery rest.

In my case, the connector on my WiFi module was physically damaged. Luckily, I was able to source a replacement of the WiFi module, and I was able to repair the damaged antenna connector. Given the number of issues people have been having with the WiFi modules, I am starting to wonder if there's some engineering/build issues...

My own experience shows that Ver.016 is much more stable than Ver.015. I would not stay on 015 if I were you.

Top Bottom