< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

Cannot boot Linux

jguske

I wanted to add that I boot Linux Mint 20.1 on my N36 from the on board eMMC.
If there is a FAT32 partition anywhere on the drive that has a /efi directory and
then a /efi/boot directory inside of that with the efi boot files, the bios will find it and
create a boot option called [ubuntu]. That starts grub booting into MInt I'm sure.

It seems that the first two partitions on the N36's eMMC are read only and one of them
must contain the windows boot loader. I found that you can't erase them and they
take away about 4MB from the space available to you for Linux Mint. This also means
there is always a windows boot option in the bios.

It's interesting that when I installed Linux Mint the same way on my new N33 I was
able to use the entire 64GB of the onboard eMMC. I was able to delete the windows
boot partition and it's boot option is gone from the bios.

I thought this might make it clear on how to EFI boot linux on the eMMC.

Last edited:

spikerguy

I wanted to add that I boot Linux Mint 20.1 on my N36 from the on board eMMC.
If there is a FAT32 partition anywhere on the drive that has a /efi directory and
then a /efi/boot directory inside of that with the efi boot files, the bios will find it and
create a boot option called [ubuntu]. That starts grub booting into MInt I'm sure.

It seems that the first two partitions on the N36's eMMC are read only and one of them
must contain the windows boot loader. I found that you can't erase them and they
take away about 4MB from the space available to you for Linux Mint. This also means
there is always a windows boot option in the bios.

It's interesting that when I installed Linux Mint the same way on my new N33 I was
able to use the entire 64GB of the onboard eMMC. I was able to delete the windows
boot partition and it's boot option is gone from the bios.

I thought this might make it clear on how to EFI boot linux on the eMMC.
Theoritically you should be able to create your own efi boot partition.
From your explaination what I understand is that Bios looks for windows efi. This is similar to my windows8 tablet which could only search for msefi. So I tricked it in thinking that linux efi is indeed the windows efi but using the same directory names as windows.
I will look into my tablet and share the details soon but for this to work you should be able to select any other drive in bios as boot drive without that it might not work unless bios finds the msefi names linux efi in other partition or drive itself.

I hope you understand what I am trying to look for to solve issue where bios is locked to only boot from ms efi.

Makes sense ?

Top Bottom