< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

Camera problem

esed

Hi,

Bought a UM700 and HM80, UM700 was returned because of a camera issue I will explain, then bought a most powerful unit, the HM80 but the problem continues.

We have the HM80 connected to a 4K LG TV by HDMI, with a Logitech Meetup Camera connected through USB.

The operating System is Windows 10 Pro and it is fully updated.

The problem is that, when we try to use the camera in some application (Windows camera app, Zoom, Google Meets, Logitech Configuration Software) the video stream is inconsistent, we see the image not fluid, and with flickering and strange colours like blue and green covering the image.

When we try the same camera with one of our Lenovo laptops it works correctly, and our laptops have less hardware specifications.

We have updated the HM80 BIOS to the latest version 08/11/2021 but the problem persists.

We have also tried all possible USB ports, front and back, and many camera configurations, PAL, NTSC, 50Hz, 60Hz... with no difference, maybe a little best experience with the front port, but it flickers too.

Any ideas? If we cannot make it work, we are afraid we will need to also return this unit.

Thanks in advance.

Legion

So you have bought two different 4K capable computers and your setup doesn’t work.

if your lazy like me and have a DP handy give it a crack and see if you get lucky.

ok. Disconnect the camera and connect the computer to a 1080p monitor, configure the computer display to be 1080p and go on YouTube and play a 1080p video. What happens? Does it flicker and have a garbled image or does it look ok? If it doesn’t work connect the laptop configure the output to 1080p and throw the image to the monitor. If it doesn't work it’s the cable. If it does then maybe the computer/port. You could try the DP and see if that works.

If that works. Is your laptop outputting 4K? Can you connect the laptop to the LG and output a 4K image and confirm the LG is displaying 4K. If that works maybe computer/port. Maybe try a DP and chat to Joey. If it doesn’t work at 4K on the laptop it’s likely the hdmi

what happens if you do the test again on the computer in 1080p and connect the LG?

if that works change the computer display output to 4K and retest. Is it garbled video or good? If it’s garbled then I’d suspect the hdmi cable. Can you connect a DP and retest. If it’s not garbled and it displaying 4K ok then it’s not the “computer”. You’ve proven the computer can output a clear image on the LG.

I recently bought a dmaf secondhand and put it on a new 4k 34” wide screen and it flickered. I changed to the DP and it’s perfect. Why did it flicker? It’s either a dodgy cable or the hdmi port. Anyway I’m happy with that and was impressed so I have a HM80 on order.

ok so that computer “works”. Get the 1080p monitor and set your camera up. Camera drivers up to date. Camera software updated. Does it work at 1080p?
No, what dothe camera people say to trouble shoot it?

If it works on the monitor at 1080p then connect up the LG and try 1080p. If that works try 4K. If it fails at 4K what do the camera people say for a camera that works at 1080p but not 4K.

There are people playing games with these units which is more intensive than zoom. the probability that you’ve received 2 bad units is possible ….. maybe.

esed

Hi,

first of all, thanks for your fastreply.

I'll give a try to the steps you described. One thing I would like to clarify before that, is that with the current setup, I can play without any issue 4K videos on youtube, and I'm pretty sure that I could ran more than one video at 4K without any issue.

It looks that, the flickering, only happens with the camera (flickering, frozening, and strange colors).

I'll give it a try and let you know.

Thanks.

esed

Hi again,

tests done:

Screen resolution at Full HD through HDMI:

- Camera failing (freezing, flickering, strange colours).
- Youtube Full HD resolution: OK

Screen resolution at 4K with through HDMI:

- Youtube 4K resolution: OK

Screen resolution at 4K through DP:

- Youtube 4K resolution: OK

So same behavior in all scenarios.

The only thing that make a difference is when we change the USB camera from the rear USB ports to the front USB ports.

Connected to the rear USB ports the camera cannot be used because of freezing, flickering, strange colours.

Connected to the USB front ports, at least we can use it, but it has some annoying flickering, like 1 flicker every 5-10 seconds.

Here you are 2 screenshots, 1 taken with Full HD screen resolutión and the other with 4K screen resolution, both with the camera connected to rear ports:

Camera is fully updated, firmware and software, also Windows Update is reporting fully updated system, computer BIOS also updated to the last release (version 08/11/2021).

Thanks.

esed

Hi,

thanks for your fast reply.

The setting IOMMU has been disabled in BIOS->Advanced->NBIO Common Options->IOMMU->Changed from Auto to DIsabled.

I have re-tested and no changes, it stills with the same behaviour.

By the way, I've been able to take an screenshot of the blue effect, it doen't happen every time, but sometimes. Usually when I close the camera aplication and re-open it it disappears, just in case it gives some extra information to you:

I have changed the IOMMU setting to Auto again.

Thanks for your support.

Legion

Are you using the included 5m USB cable?
Are you connecting the camera directly to the computer? Ie there is no hub in between?
What happens if you drop the capture rate of the camera to 1080p? Does it give the same problem?

esed

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

The logitech Meetup is a 4K capable camera, incomprehensibly it comes originally with a 5m 2.0 USB-C to USB-A cable. Because of this, it only allows to use it Full-HD. Logitech officially recommends to change this cable with a 3.0 cable in order to be able to use 4K resolution (applause for logitech...).

In our meeting room, we have installed a USB-C to USB-A 3.0 cable, and it has been working for long time without issues with many other computers.

We can use our laptops Lenovo X230 with a Intel series 3000 and an Intel HD Graphics 4000, and it work like a charm in 4K camera resolution. Also tested with many other laptos, just given this one as an example.

With the 3.0 cable, nothing happens if we drop the capture rate of the camera to 1080p, same behaviour, but just for curiosity of what you said, I have rescued the original 2.0 cable, and tested with it, and surprisingly it works in any rear or front USB of the HM80, ofcourse, using this cable, the option of using 4K doesn't appear, so it is hardware forced to 1080p.

We are not happy using it at 1080p, moreover when we can run it 4K with any other computer and the 3.0 cable.

Does this information give any other hint to you?

Thanks for your support.

Legion

Have a look at this article. It’s trouble shooting a camera with a usb3 connection.

I’d check that the USB port is connectng at SuperSpeed.
Check the USB looks ok in device manager and then confirm a SuperSpeed connection using something like USBTreeview like they do.

I don’t understand why your USB3 cable isn’t working at 1080p but your USB2 will. Maybe the USB3 cable is triggering a high speed connection on the port but it’s not connecting at SuperSpeed?

esed

Hi,

good point, thanks for the article, it looks really usefull.

I'll take a look, make some testing, and post the results.

The last line you wrote, is the same that went through my mind when testing, and we reached simmilar conclusion. My suspect is pretty the same, it looks like somehow the USB 3.0 connection is not maintainnig an stable bandwidth.

Maybe it can work correctly with the 2.0 cable because it can stablish a stable 2.0 connection, but it can't maintain a 5Gbps 3.0 stable connection, so maybe it has enough bandwith for the 4K stream, but because of the unstable link it flickers, make distorsion and also the weird colours.

Thanks for your support, I'll be back with more information.

esed

Hi again,

I followed the posted article, pretty interesting one.

And surprisingly both ports (front and rear) are reporting SuperSpeed connection when I connect the camera (surprisingly because the camera cannot be used with the rear ports as you have seen in past screenshots, it works "better" in the front ports but also with flickering).

Moreover, in the device manager all looks fine.

Here you are som pics:

Thanks for you support!

PS: In the USB Tree Viewer I can only see USB 3.0 interfaces, it is supposed that the front USBs are 3.1 but in the Tree Viewer it appear as 3.0, I don't know if this is ok but just for you information!

Last edited:

Legion

This issue looks a lot like yours but it in Linux.

a blue tint is described here

Right at the bottom of the page a user makes the comment
“This didn’t fix my problem. However, I found a fix: Launch the Logitech camera settings or Logitech Capture application *as administrator*. Change your settings, quit. Unplug and replug your USB cable. Launch the application that needs your webcam: Your settings should still be applied. My guess is that, in order to save settings, the settings application needs admin priviledges.”

might be worth a try.

esed

Hi,

thanks, I have taken a look, but sadly no difference, with the same config some times we got the flickering, or the blue effect, this on front ports. We still unable to use the camera on the back ports.

In order to warranty that is not a cable problem, or bandwith limitation, we have ordered this:

It is a specific cable from Logitech in order to warranty the 4K stream between the camera and the computer, as you can see in the cable specs (and in the price) it is a high quality cable, our goal is to warranty the problem is not on the camera or cable:

Here in spain it costs 300€ per unit, we will have it here next monday.

I'm afraid, unless somebody comes with more ideas, this will be our last try, if with this cannot make it work propperly we will have to return the unit.

Thanks for your support and have a great weekend!

evofrank

i think is the driver the problem because when i plug my brio on the front plug everything is okay and when i plug it a the rear freezing and strange thing happens

esed

Hi, that's valuable information for us, thanks.

I also suspect about the driver more than physical issue, as soon as I have the Logitech cable I will post the results.

esed

Hi,

we have received the Logitech Cable, and no changes. Camera doesn't work when connected to rear ports, and we still have flickering in the front ports.

We have tested the new cable with a new HP ProDesk 400 G6 unit, with specs:

Core i5 10500T / 2.3 GHz
RAM 16 GB
SSD 512 GB
UHD Graphics 630
USB 3.1 Gen 1

And it works like a charm, also we have tested our old cable with this HP unit and works exactly the same as the logitech cable.

So sadly, we are returning the HM80 unit.

We thank to this wonderful community their support, and we also hope that this thread with all its troubleshooting help you to address this problem in this current machine or future releases.

Thank you guys.

Last edited:

esed

Guys,

one more thing, with the new PC the image has no issues and the video run very smoothly, but I noticed that the blue tint effect happened when the PC is restarted and you open Chrome and want to use Meets (for example).

I found the solution to the blue tint effect here:

It cames from the Logitech Camera Configuration utility, and the thing is that once you run the utility (running it as administrator) and enable "automatic white balance" you must uninstall the aplication.

If you do that, the problem is gone, but if you don't uninstall the application, next time you restart the PC you will face the blue tint issue.

Hope it helps somebody in the future.

Regards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom