< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

Boot to M.2?

Samp

I have installed win10 and got all updated. got WIN2404 updated. Had a LINUX system also installed on M.2 but recently cloned C; drive to the M.2 So when I press F7 on boot I get choices of Win boot manager,Ubunto, and Win boot manager on Dogfish which is the M.2 . Also shows USB Drive and other options. I would like to boot to the M,2 and later format the internal drive and use for UBUNTO. Is this possible?

joey

Administrator
Staff member
In theory, this is feasible. I haven't tried it yet. Please give me some time to practice. If you think your EMMC can be completely emptied, then you can also try it. Once I operate, what will the result be? , I will give you feedback here

Samp

OK I will wait before I proceed with formatting internal drive for now. Look forward to your findings. I am afraid if I format internal drive the BIOS will not look for M.2 to boot. The BIOS seems very limited right now. I must say Novabench says booting to M.2 goes from 26 to 76 for HDD. It seems faster. All other benchmarks read about the same. Let me know what you find out. Thanks, Sam

Sam

OK Here is update. I tried doing what I planned about deleting internal 64 gb drive and trying to get it to boot to 256GB M.2 but could not get it to work. Ended up deleting/Formatting both and downloading install image and loading to M.2 drive. Now have stable install on M.2 of win 10 with last update of Win 10 of 20H2? Have formatted 64 GB internal but not loaded Linux as trying to decide witch version want to use. I have not run any more performance test but plan to soon.

spikerguy

OK Here is update. I tried doing what I planned about deleting internal 64 gb drive and trying to get it to boot to 256GB M.2 but could not get it to work. Ended up deleting/Formatting both and downloading install image and loading to M.2 drive. Now have stable install on M.2 of win 10 with last update of Win 10 of 20H2? Have formatted 64 GB internal but not loaded Linux as trying to decide witch version want to use. I have not run any more performance test but plan to soon.
I think the best option for you is to have boot partition on internal storage and use m2 as rootfs you can use grub to point to linux or windows while keeping linux and Windows both on m2.

For this you should install Windows on m2. Then try to install linux but partition it manually,
Use internal storage as boot partition and m2 as root / partition of the installer doesn't allow you to do that then you might have to do it manually.

I have windows and linux on my internal ssd while another linux for testing on external hdd but all these are visible through internal grub.

If you need help tag me and ill try to help you.

Good luck.

Top Bottom