< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

BlueTooth Headset Microphone Hands Free Profile (HFP) not working on Z83-F

JayPeak

I’ve spent many days now trying to get a BlueTooth microphone, ie, Headset Hands-Free Profile (HFP) working on two Z83-F Windows 10 Mini PCs. Has anyone else been successful? What am I missing? I’ve painstakingly taken extensive debugging data and turned up some clues, but I’m afraid it’s going to take an expert with excellent insight and careful reading of my info below (sorry).

I found this post with apparently the same problem, but it had no solution. http://bbs.minisforum.com/threads/bluetooth-mic-problems.1193/#post-8397

As many articles point out, a BT headset in Windows 10 appears as two devices: (1) a playback-only Stereo Headphone with high quality audio (A2DP) for music, and (2) a Headset with a Microphone input and Earphone output (HFP) for voice, eg, VOIP.

I’ve tried two brands of BT headsets, on two Z83-F MiniPCs (running Windows 1903 and also tried 1909) and on two other Windows machines (laptop running Win10 1903 & another Atom Z3735F running Win 8.1). Both headsets have identical behavior. I’ve tried driver updates, disabling the Headphone, device and driver uninstalls, re-installs and pairings, with many many system updates, restores, and reboots to no avail.

Both headsets work perfectly on either of the two other windows machines. After BT pairing
  • Bluetooth & Other Devices shows the device “Connected voice, music”
  • Sound Settings shows Output: Headphones (Stereo) and Headset earphone, and Input: Microphone (Hands-Free AG Audio)
  • All those devices play or pick up sound as they should
  • Sound Control Panel shows Playback: Headphones (Stereo) and Headset earphone (Hands-Free AG Audio), as well as Recording: Microphone (Hands-Free AG Audio)
  • Device Manager > Sound, video & game controllers shows one Stereo and one Hands-Free AG Audio controller.
Both headsets fail identically on either of the two Z83-F MiniPCs. Like with the other Windows machines, they pair successfully, but after pairing
  • Bluetooth & Other Devices shows the device “Connected voice, music”
  • Failing, Sound Settings shows Output: Headphones (Stereo) but no Headset earphone, and Input: Microphone (Hands-Free AG Audio)
  • “Device properties and test microphone” indicates no sound picked up for the Hands-Free AG Audio microphone, even if Headphones are disabled (per some suggestions)
  • Inconsistent with Sound Settings, Manage Sound Devices shows Output: Headphones (Stereo) and Headset earphone (Hands-Free AG Audio), as well as Input: Microphone (Hands-Free AG Audio)
  • Sound Control Panel is consistent with Manage Sound Devices; it shows Playback: Headphones (Stereo) and Headset earphone (Hands-Free AG Audio), as well as Recording: Microphone (Hands-Free AG Audio)
  • Testing shows no sound played by Headset earphone (Hands-Free AG Audio), nor picked up by Microphone (Hands-Free AG Audio)
  • Device Manager > Sound, video & game controllers shows one Stereo but no Hands-Free AG Audio controller
Digging into driver details, when headset “56S” is paired and comparing working & non-working (Z83-F) PCs.
  • On both PCs, there is a “56S” Bluetooth with identical driver info
    Driver Name: bth.inf
Class Guid: {e0cbf06c-cd8b-4647-bb8a-263b43f0f974}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.18362.693
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: BthGenericDevice.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF2000
Matching Device Id: BTHENUM\GENERIC_DEVICE
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: BTH\MS_BTHBRB\6&b60d31d&0&1
  • On both PCs, there is a “56S Hands-Free AG” System Device.
    • On non-working PC, Matching Device Id: BTHENUM\{0000111e-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}_HCIBYPASS and it appeared to configure and start OK
    • On working PC, Matching Device Id: BTHENUM\{0000111e-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb} and it “was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match” and then went on to configure and start OK
    • On both PCs, driver info is otherwise identical
Driver Name: microsoft_bluetooth_hfp_ag.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e97d-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Driver Date: 03/18/2019
Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: BthHfEnum_Ag_Install
Driver Rank: 0xFF2000
Matching Device Id: BTHENUM\{0000111e-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}_HCIBYPASS
Outranked Drivers: bth.inf:BTHENUM\{0000111e-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}_GENERIC:00FF2001
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: BTH\MS_BTHBRB\6&b60d31d&0&1
  • On the non-working PC, there is no “56S Hands-Free AG Audio” Sound, video and game controller; while on the working PC there is one.
In summary, it seems that on Z83-F MiniPCs, the Headset HFP function is erratically shown as present but somehow not working. On the Z83-F, the headset Device ID contains “_HCIBYPASS” while on the working laptop PC it does not. This seems to be a clue but I don’t know where to go from there. Any ideas what the problem is with both Z83-F machines?

boker

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, Z83-F (Bluetooth 4.1) can't do it. I tested the microphone of the N40 (Bluetooth 4.2) Bluetooth headset using Win10 1909, and it worked fine.
Maybe Bluetooth 4.2 or higher can support it? (Personal guess)

JayPeak

Boker, thank you for your reply and for testing the N40. Love your line of products. Hoping to use for our distance-learning rollout.

Additional data point: these same BT headsets work on an older Win 8.1 Atom Z3735F miniPC with BT v4.0, so I'm guessing the problem is driver-related and maybe not BT version. Other on-line posts suggests same problem with other users, and maybe not specific to Z83-F ... maybe specific to (some) Atom-based systems with (some) Win10 updates / drivers or configs.

Has anyone succeeded with a BT headset (microphone & headset earphone) on Z83-F? (if so, please please share).

Anyone know implication of why failing with _HCIBYPASS in ID? Maybe red-herring, though.

Because I bought two Z83-F, and invested sooooo much time trying to get those working with the headsets, I'm really hoping the problem can be a Win driver / configuration fix.

Or maybe we will have to change to N40 for our upcoming project...

boker

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't tested it, but it should be possible in theory.
Please enter the device manager to disable the original Bluetooth 4.0 (not uninstall it) before inserting the Bluetooth 5.0 adapter.

Top Bottom