< img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=177525256911397&ev=PageView&noscript=1" />

Automatic Power on after Power loss?

Shaka

I would like to run the U700 as a data and media server with Linux, but cannot find any BIOS Settings for Automatic Power on after Power loss.
Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

spikerguy

I am not sure about this Bios feature in U700 normally newer mini pcs have this auto power on after power failure.

Maybe @joey should be able to answer this for you.

Linwood

The file is labeled Win10, the question was in the Linux context; I just got my U700 and also want to auto-power-on for Linux. How do you set it for Linux?

spikerguy

The file is labeled Win10, the question was in the Linux context; I just got my U700 and also want to auto-power-on for Linux. How do you set it for Linux?
Hello,

To flash this you will have to boot into windows as most of the bios update files are built only for windows every few manufacturer builds bios update for linux.

So you're best bet is to boot into windows and flash the latest firmware, please don't try any shortcuts while flashing bios update as it can lead to unbootable hardware.
Also do remember to run as administrator.

Good luck.

Linwood

That's... difficult since I do not have windows even installed. Are there other alternatives, e.g. can I boot windows from a thumb drive in some fashion to get far enough to do the flash?

Or are you suggesting I need to wipe and reinstall windows to do the bios flash? That's a lot of work for what SHOULD be in the bios when shipped!

spikerguy

That's... difficult since I do not have windows even installed. Are there other alternatives, e.g. can I boot windows from a thumb drive in some fashion to get far enough to do the flash?

Or are you suggesting I need to wipe and reinstall windows to do the bios flash? That's a lot of work for what SHOULD be in the bios when shipped!
I'd suggest remove the drive with Linux on it so you don't get data deleted try to install Windows either on an external drive or a replacement drive for temporary purpose and flash the bios after that rebooy few times and test if auto power on works.

Then reconnect linux drive.

Other than that I don't think there is any option to install Windows on a usb stick or thumb drive unless it is a 32gb drive and Windows installer allow installing on a removable drive I don't have much experience of newer windows installer so I cannot comment much on that.

Good luck though.

Linwood

OK, I'll look. Though frankly the external headphone port issue is a real killer for me, if I can't get that fixed this thing is going back anyway.

It's a darn shame they advertise linux compatibility and then expect people to run windows, AND not have all the ports actually work with linux.

Teschnofan

There might be a way, but I can't test it until mid-September...
If you prepare a Win10 Installation USB thumbdrive and put the file on it you can get on the command line within the Windows setup
with Shift-F10... then X: should be the thumbdrive and you can try to run it...

spikerguy

Though frankly the external headphone port issue is a real killer for me, if I can't get that fixed this thing is going back anyway.
What is the headphone jack issue?
It should work fine maybe you just need to switch the audio output and input.

Let me know, I'll try to help you with that.

Linwood

What is the headphone jack issue?
It should work fine maybe you just need to switch the audio output and input.

Let me know, I'll try to help you with that.
UPDATE: Sorry -- Just realized this was a reply to the power on thread -- please see the other thread here:

https://bbs.minisforum.com/threads/no-headset-sound-on-ubuntu-20-04.1501/

(Prior note -- but please let's discuss elsewhere):

As above, if I install a clean Ubuntu 20.04, and plug in a headphone (I have tried both ones with and without a mic) nothing appears in the settings with respect to headphones, and no sound comes out.

If I install Pulse Audio volume control and run it, the dropdown shows a headphone but it says "unplugged".

If I run alsamixer, I can set the volume on the headphones and unmute it (master mute) but still no sound. Though I think I heard something once, generally no sound, and always says "unplugged".

It is of course possible I got a defective motherboard with an actual failing headphone jack; I did not even run windows, as my goal was linux.

Last edited:

sergiodub

Hi @Shaka
U700 supports automatic boot after updating EC. NOTES:This EC is only applicable to U700 and U500-H, please do not run this file on other machines, the consequence will cause BIOS damage
Please download and run the .exe file as an administrator.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/r7aqxahmc6vwmv0/U500Hautopoweron.rar/file
Hello,
i did the update of the EC as administrator on a U700 (win10), but nothing has changed in the bios and i don't see options to set the automatic power on.
The update was completed successfully, did I forget something?
Thank you.

Top Bottom