GK45 recognizes SATA HD but not SATA SSD

udif

As the subject says, when I install a 2.5" SSD it is not recognized by the BIOS, while a 2.5" HD is recognized.
The SSD is recognized through an external USB interface so it is working 100% OK.

bgraham42

I am having the same issue except the BIOS will not recognize a 2.5" HD or SSD. It also doesn't recognize a nVMe 2280 SSD. I can connect them externally and they both work with no problems.

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
GK45 Only support M.2 2280 NGFF SATA SSD , M.2 2242 NVMe SSD , 2.5" Hard Disk Drive(as below picture) ,
not support M.2 2280 NVMe SSD and 2.5" Solid State Disk

bgraham42

GK45 Only support M.2 2280 NGFF SATA SSD , M.2 2242 NVMe SSD , 2.5" Hard Disk Drive(as below picture) ,
not support M.2 2280 NVMe SSD and 2.5" Solid State Disk
View attachment 162
I tried multiple SATA 2.5" HDD and none of them were recognized by the bios or by windows when connected via the internal drive cable, but they worked fine whole connected externally. I also tried m.2 2280 drive with the exact same result.

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
Can you provide me the hard disk picture information for confirmation

minos

there is 2 different types of keys for an M.2 2242 NVMe SSD : M or B+M. are they both supported by the GK45 ?

Wen

KODLIX developer
Staff member
there is 2 different types of keys for an M.2 2242 NVMe SSD : M or B+M. are they both supported by the GK45 ?
M Key , PCIe * 2
only support M.2 2242 NVMe PCIe SSD , not Support M.2 2242 NGFF SATA SSD 。

minos

Sorry But there is like 4 or 5 models of M.2 2242 NVMe SSD on amazon, and they are all in "key B+M"
here is the list : https://www.amazon.com/s?k=2242+nvme&i=electronics

The only one in "key M" (Sabrent) is double sided, and I suppose this is not supported (too large ?)

I know all this is confusing, But I read that "B+M" NVme is supposed to be in general compatible with "M" but should first be verified, which I'm trying to do.

eRaz0r

I have the same issues. i've bought my GK45 3 days ago at amazon europe. i've tested 3 sata HDD's, but only one is working. the other 2 don't get recognised, but work externally. (usb docking station)

the 2,5" harddrive what works with the gk45 is an old Western Digital: WDC5000LPVT-08G33T1 - that's an old 512GB sata drive and it does work without any problems.

both of my seagate sata hdd's, 1terrabyte each, do not work. everytime i connect them, the mini pc gets really slow und unresponsive - windows boot takes 5 minutes. but neither the uefi or windows recognising them.

drive 1: SEAGATE ST1000LM048-2E7172 1000,2GB.
drive 2: SEAGATE ST1000LM035

so it seems the gk45 does have serious problems with seagate drives ...
i've read that some people even have problems with m2-ssd drives, i would love to buy one, to increase the storage, but i am afraid that my gk45 will not recognise it - would be wasted money.

could this be fixed with an uefi update? or what's the problem here?
can users post the exact drives they're using, so i can buy one of theese? not that i buy a new hdd or m2-ssd which isn't working again :/ especially brands of "tested" m2-ssd's - so i can buy one that will definitely running in my gk45

MinisForum

Administrator
Staff member
You can send the order number to the email(support@kodlix.com) for more support, thank you.
GK45 supports M.2 2280 SATA SSD, Kingston is recommended, other brands are also available, but newly installed SSD needs to enter disk management initialization
M.2 2242 NVMe PCIe SSD is also supported. We understand that many customers have purchased the wrong SSD model. You can share the SSD link to me for confirmation.

eRaz0r

Thx, if i buy a m2 ssd, i will do that. right now i've orderd a 1TB western digital hdd ... all of my seagate hdd's do not work with my gk45 - the only hard drive i am be able to use with my unit is an old western digital blue drive with 500gb.

because the "older" 500gb modell is working, i hope the new 1TB model will also work. i will let you know ... new sata 2,5" hdd
Western Digital WD10SPZX WD Blue 1000GB SATA

: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B071F9MLJJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i don't really need an m2-ssd, just at least 1TB of storage. i have 8 sata 2,5" hard drives here, but the only one working in my gk45 is the western digital .... wish me luck :/ all the other drives are seagate drives - so it seems there is a compatibility problem with seagate hdd's and the chipset or uefi.

according to the amazon site from the gk45 - i should be able to put any sata hdd up to 2TB storage inside - but sadly i only own 1TB seagate drives and these are not compatible it seems ... so i really hope, the new wd-blue 1TB drive will work right away, or else i've wasted another 50bucks haha

Last edited:

balanadi

Can you tell me if this one is good to buy for my GK45 ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-Toshiba-RC100-NVMe-M-2-240GB/dp/B07DD4FWRL

i want to tell you also that i installed an 256 M.2 2280 NVMe SSD https://www.amazon.in/Hynix-256GB-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B075QMZ1LC and i pu the windows on it and is working like a charm ... the only think that is annoying is that i could not screw it up because there is no screw for the size of this ...and i made some adjustments ... so far i am very happy with the speed and it does not bother the fact that it is not screw up .

until you will tell me if the toshiba RC100 nvme ssd is good for me i will work with the M.2 2280 NVMe SSD which i have it installed ..

Last edited:

eRaz0r

I've bought and installed a western digital 2280 m2 sata ssd - it's working perfectly fine! https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-green-sata-ssd#WDS240G2G0B

@balanadi can you report if the toshiba 2242 is working? because i also wanna upgrade my gk45 with this toshiba drive from amazon. it's the only one available at amazon europe as far as i've seen. thx! btw. - how can i safely open my gk45 to reach the 2242 slot? haven't seen any screws around or inside the bottom to open up the top. don't wanna destroy the case haha

Last edited:

balanadi

@balanadi can you report if the toshiba 2242 is working? because i also wanna upgrade my gk45 with this toshiba drive from amazon. it's the only one available at amazon europe as far as i've seen. thx! btw. - how can i safely open my gk45 to reach the 2242 slot? haven't seen any screws around or inside the bottom to open up the top. don't wanna destroy the case haha
[/QUOTE]

I still wait to be delivered and i will let you know about toshiba 2242 and about to open the top front of the GK45 you need a plastic card (like a credit card or some other plastic cards ) and you slide it on the margins and slowly you can lift it .... i will try to make a picture tomorrow to show you how you can open it ..

Top Bottom